Ridge Cap

The actual wording on the report"

“The ridge cap shingles look like high winds could easily damage them; recommend a qualified roofer evaluate and reinstall if needed.”

What would your narrative be?

Jeff,
This is a different one. This one is a double shingle which gives a seal at the fold. The one I had was a single shingle.
Thanks for the link.

A little different than the CertainTeed.

Owens Corning High Style Hip & Ridge

:slight_smile:

Not to keep this thread going but according to the 2nd pic it is failing.

I had never seen it until last month and since then I’ve seen another one. I tugged on them and they were rock solid.
Actually the second set were a little different- each cap shingle was built up using pieces. It was still very solid when I tugged on it.
If it’s been in place long enough to cure and to have weathered some wind and still passes the tug test, it’s fine with me, although if this were new construction, I’d mention the gaps and the possibility of leakage from wind-driven rain.

Obviously you could lift up at least one. How was the bonding on the rest?
Home age?
Any sign of leakage?

Kenton,
Your example pictures are a different installation method than mine.

If you look at my picures most if not all are lifting up a little. They are not bonding to the lower shingle. The roof is a few months old. The home was about 30 years old.

Thanks for your input everyone.

That was my thought also David!

David, The photos I posted were from a roof that is a little different, but I did see a roof just like yours not long ago and they were solidly bonded. If the roof is only a few months old, the weather has been too cold here over the last couple of months for the shingles to bond. They may be fine once the roof has really had a chance to heat up. Of course there’s not way to really know the quality of the bonding until the roof has heated up.

Kenton’ s version looks like a z ridge properly installed. I have not seen David’s version anywhere. Maybe the roofer misread the instructions…