Ridge Vent...Handmade?

I was looking this roof over and had a double-take on the ridge vent. It looked irregular…
Since there was a power attachment on one end of the ridge and another obstacle on the other, the closest I got to the ridge was about 10’.
The roof is very steep and I think that had something to do with the reasoning for the non-standard vent. I’m not sure that the standard ridge vent product would fit this steep ridge.
The ridge shingle cap appears to be shingles placed over some screening and nailed in half way to allow air to enter the attic space. Some shingles appear to be tearing slightly and who knows how much nail has penetrated the sheathing.
I had other roof issues and asked that the roof expert also give an opinion of the ridge vent.
Has anyone seen this before? Is there a proper vent available for these steep ridge/vent apps?
I added a “limitations” photo of the vines and the ridge for perspective…
Yes, I think it’s the vines that are causing the chimney flashing to leak…
Thanks! Bill O

P7071078.JPG

P7071079.JPG

P7071069.JPG

That looks like Cobra vent to me. It is a mesh that comes on a roll and is very common in some areas, probably because it is cheaper.

Agree

Recommend evaluation by qualified roofer, and move on.

Thanks for all input… I’ll call ‘em cobra vents when I see them and recommend further evaluation… Those "smart nails’ must be something special…
Movin’ on, bill o

Yes, it’s all coming back to me. The nails provided are two inch roofing nails with plastic sleeves that provide correct spacing when carefully installed. Of course, they can be overdriven.

‘Cobra’ is a brand name which doesn’t just cover this type of vent. I suggest calling it mesh or rolled ridge vent. As Mark mentioned they are often improperly installed, mostly because the installer uses a nail gun. This compresses the mesh and does not allow adequate airflow. I prefer the ‘baffle’ type such as the Cobra Snow Country http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Products/Roof_Vents/Cobra_Snow_Country

Thanks again for the input…
FYI…Cobra Snow country data sheet states that there for use up to 16/12 roofs…
Observed a “mesh/rolled ridge vent” with some torn shingles. No nail spacers evident between cap shingles and sloped roof. Further evaluation by a licensed roofing…etc…
Me thinks the installer just used his thumb for the spacing tool and saved on those smart nails…
Thanks, Bill O