Ridge vent

So what’s wrong with this picture.:slight_smile:

19.jpg

20.jpg

I believe the overt omission of sealant means the concealed sealant is non-existent.

Just doomed.

tom :wink:

already doomed. Hey they did try to seal it, check out the silicone (it’s a little hard to see in the picture), I will give them an F for F-fort.

29.jpg

31.jpg

Was that a modular home?

I’ve seen the same thing on many of them.

Aside from what appears to be a lack of caulk on the exposed nails and holes where nails once were, I personally don’t like metal ridge vents. Judging by the picture, this one has been removed and then put back on, leaving dimples or creases in spots…ugly.

I write up most aluminum ridge vents. They either leak, allow debris to enter the attic, installed improperly or are pulling off.

They are crap…

No this is not a modular. This was a small piece of crap that took me 3 hrs. to inspect, because a renovator decided to try and cover up a bunch of damage in the home.:-x I’m still writing the report!!! It’s bad when you have to take breaks when doing this.

On top of OSB roof decking.

This is what we call a “future mold culture”. :shock:

All of thee above and then some!!!:slight_smile:

At least they cut/left the slot at the peak. I have found where the vent was just nailed on the ridge, no slot!!!

I’ve run into many of those aesthetic ridge vents also. I’m really surprised to see this situation where roofers install an actual ridge vent but fail cut it in.

This always makes me scratch my head and ask myself… “Why such an idiotic move”?
Another issue I find on 75% of the newly roofed homes, is that the roofers are properly installing a ridge vent but are not cutting in soffit vents. These homes have a ridge vent and two gable end vents. I have to explain this issue my clients who are getting ready to purchase homes that have been re-roofed.

The way I understand it the vent should be tucked under the shingles and not over them. Is it different for these aluminum kind? Never seen them around here.

Richard,

If they were tucked under the shingle, rain water would enter the roof sheathing area.

They get installed right on top of the shingles.

http://www.hunterhomeservices.com/images/mtlrdgvnt.jpg

The style shown with the vertical wind deflector is the better style that generally does not let snow & rain in.

It may be true in some areas, but I still can’t recall an aluminum ridge vent that I haven’t called out for an upgrade.

They are useless in Massachusetts.

??? Is that a personal preference or every one you’ve seen leaks? Is it the style or the material? Whose vent do you recommend?

*ShingleVent II and Multi-Pitch FilterVent have Dade County, Florida, product evaluation approval—the country’s most stringent requirements for rain infiltration.

The above is from the Air vent brochure.
http://www.ridgevent.com/pdf/literature/RidgeVentBrochure.pdf

It’s my personal opinion. I don’t find many aluminum ridge vents that work great.

I tell all my clients that the best vents on the market today are manufactured by www.cor-a-vent.com