roof cert with thermal imaging camera

The another day I did a roof certification on a house with a tile roof. The homeowner called us because the insurance Co. sent out their own inspection firm. He claimed there was leakage in the roof deck at the rear half of the building. He left themal images behind as proof, taken inside the attic.

There is no evidence for any leakage in the area if he identifed as the problem. The day he was there is had rained earlier on (ponding on flat roof, the real problem) and the roofing was drying out, leaving some areas of roof sheathing colder. The tile roofing is 13 years old…another expert with a thermal camera.

I’m assuming he did not confirm with a moisture meter.

He did not. He did however identify the leakage to the insurance firm.

At least he did not include the images of all of the roof leaks around the air conditioning vents.:mrgreen:

Flat roof covered with tile… at this low slope the Tile Roof Institute would describe the tile as decorative only… what was beneath the tile?

Diff rf, K!

Yo no sé acerca de este techo, P!

oh, surely you jest!

Are you trying to say that there a thermal camera owners out there that haven’t been properly trained and qualified?!!!

We haven’t had this discussion before! :wink:

You didn’t happen to get your hands on those scans did you?

Never mind, please don’t post them here, someone will use them on their website… :cool:

It isn’t any wonder so many fail at this business. I just got an email from price shopper I talked to yesterday. He is looking to put his mother in law into a 1974 FL home (with aluminum wiring) and was out shopping Home Inspectors. I explained what all the home inspection entails and sent him some information. I just got an email back from him saying he found another inspector who will do the inspection, throw in a free 4 Point, a free Wind Mitigation and free Thermal Imaging scan and photos…all for $300. He wanted to know if I could beat that price.

I just shot him a reply telling him to go with the other guy as apparently he needs the work more than I do and that I never compete on price. While the other guy is doing all that I will be across the street or town doing one for a whole lot more and be home long before he is. Stupid home inspectors keep giving away their services and products while making the profession look like a Dutch Uncle operation to the general public and Realtors alike.

You can thank licensing for that.

Everyone has the same license so everyone is the same. That must mean that everyone is going to do the same things in the same way.

Oh wait they have not quite yet standardized everything yet But they sure as hell are trying. Not much longer I promise.

Everything everyone does will look the same especially in the insurance inspection world.

You can thank licensing for that.

Everyone has the same license so everyone is the same. That must mean that everyone is going to do the same things in the same way.

Oh wait they have not quite yet standardized everything yet But they sure as hell are trying. Not much longer I promise.

Everything everyone does will look the same especially in the insurance inspection world.

Since it has aluminum wiring, I would have told him to resolve that issue before you have an inspection done.

Eric,
That is exactly what I told him, and that is how I knew it had aluminum wiring…because when he told me the date of construction the very next thing I commented on was the issue of possible aluminum wiring. He confirmed it did indeed have aluminum wiring and proceeded to ask me if that was going to be a problem. I was trying to get out the door so I sent him some info. They want to pursue the purchase in spite of numerous expensive issues because she “really loves the house”. I have had customers buy a house simply because they loved a certain tree in the yard. They can’t see past that to see all the problems in a POS house. The other inspector in this case is welcome to this job and is apparently doing it practically free.