Roof inspection

Originally Posted By: gwiggins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a home yesterday and when on the roof I thought the decking felt a little spongy. When in the attic I found the roof framing was trusses 24" on center and 7/16" osb decking but there were no plywood clips, would anyone else consider this a defect and report it? This inspection is for the home owner who wants to display the report during an open house.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Did they use full sheets in the area? Could you tell if the material was installed in the wright direction? I’m not sure if there is a code on having to clip down OSB on trussed roofs. I’ve been on roofs where the builder was using up all the material on site to finish the sheeting. That’s when they get bouncy.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Rolland,

What is the "wright" direction? Is that the opposite of the lepht direction?

Gabriel,

'round here, we use 7/16" rated 24" OC, and spacer clips must be used in between each truss.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Spell check cant help bad grammer. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t been missing somethin all these years. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Blaine

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Roof sheathing in the right direction…

Would that be staggared sheets like the framing?

Thanks.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Gabe,

Welcome to the board. Here's a couple of things to consider:

OSB spacer clips are recommended but probably not for the reason you may think. They are installed to provide the proper gap between the sheathing to allow it to expand and contract.

There usually will be a stamp on the OSB that will tell you how many inches on center the rafters can be.

General rule of thumb with roof sag = no more than 1/2" bow in 24" distance. That would be without load.

Personally, I would look alot closer at a roof structure that did not have spacer clips installed. Bad Karma man! Bad Karma!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: mpetner

Looks to me like the IRC calls for panel edge clips. See IRC R803.2.2 which takes you to Table R503.2.1.1(1) footnote d. “Lumber blocking, panel edge clips, …, or other type of edge support.”

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Good find Michael. Gotta love you detail guys. Curious to note that 7/16 thickness is good for 24 inch span, with or without edge support.

Hmmm ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: mpetner

I just can’t believe I beat Rob O’ on this. icon_lol.gif