Roof inspection

We were debated many times before whether we should go on the roof or not, but I surely glad I climbed on this one.

Damaged flashing (Small).jpg

Good find…:smiley:

Also good reasons to make it into the attic, if the roof cannot be accessed.

Good find!

Nice one!
How bad was the ceiling below?:shock:

Surprisingly, there was no mark on the ceiling below. This plumbing vent goes behind the bathroom drywall and is boxed in. I’m sure there is water accumulation behind the drywall but none is showing on the ceiling. The whole wall is tiled. Since there is at least four inches of space behind the drywall it will sure take sometime to show up on the surface. But when it will, who do you think the client will call first? I hate to hear this explanation: “Sorry your Honour, but our Standards of Practice do not require us to climb on the roof.”

Sorry but I disagree our SOP is to give us protection .
I do walk the roof but can see why others do not .
Do you have any idea how long the hole was there .
I did an inspection and it was a new roof 4 days .
I walked the roof and squirrels had chewed a hole big enough in the Plumbimg stack that I could almost do the attic Inspection from the roof . Took picturs of the roof and Inside surprised the Agent and home owner.
.If this had of happened the day after my inspection I would nver of known.

…Cookie

I don’t depend on my SOP to protect me I use common sense. To many HI’s out there afraid of height and use the SOP not to even walk on a flat roof.

Don’t walk the roof this is what you miss.

The hole in the shingles is just on the edge of a chimney metal flashing and was pentrating into a cavity that was not visible from within the attic. No way would I have found that puppy if I had not been on the roof.

More Lawsuits in Okla concerning roofs than any other item in a Home Inspection. It’s like playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in a six shooter not to go on the roof.

And this is my point exactly. We are there to protect our clients in providing them with the best service we can, and finding as many serious issues as we possibly can. I agree that the common sense should always prevail. But if you don’t climb on the 4/12 roof because it is two stories house or you don’t open electrical panel because you are afraid of loosing the screw, and you don’t go into the attic because you can’t see the ceiling joists, etc., then why would you show up there at all? Oh, yeah. Because you were asked to look around. The difference between “looking around” and doing a professional home inspection is to provide your client with the best service possible. Very often this includes something that other inspectors don’t offer.

And if you are not an electric an an apprentice or a ( HRV mechanic who has taken special training ) you are not allowed to open the panel .
Also if you are trained to open the panel you of course now are wearing the proper protection that the law requires.
If you have not taken and passed the Roofing course and are not wearing proper saftey Harness ( even on a flat roof 10 feet of the ground) you are not allowed on the roof .
Now tell me what laws are you going to follow the SOP or ignore and follow only what you feel like.

… Cookie

I like the way you think were on the same page

Yes but I expect you have different laws in your area then we do in Canada.
I am sure you would never recommend breaking the law.
… Cookie

This a age old debate that will go no where those that do and those that don’t. We all understand that SOP in just the minimum standard. If as an HI you determine something is unsafe for you; by all means don’t do it.

I see to many HI’S that will not walk a roof period reguardless. You can not tell me that they are all unsafe. I can name the roofs on one hand that I deemed unsafe.

Yes I am sure we do have different laws.

No I have not broken the law since my Moonshiners child hood:)
</IMG>