Roofing Costs

Originally Posted By: jcampbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all…

Just curious the going rates for asphalt roofing and metal roofing, particularly in the Northeast. I just received a bid for roofing one of my places at $200 per square... this is not stripping. How does this measure up to any that you have seed? I was surprised... thinking 150-175 for stripping and roofing... I am interested in metal as well... this a 4-5/12 pitch roof, partial hip, part gable...

thanks
Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Campbell
http://www.maineshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi. Jeff;

I have some friends in Waterville, an old couple that I do actual repairs for, and when they asked me to replace the awnings on their Mothers house, I noticed that the roof needed more attention. Their roofing had gone way beyond the life expectancy. I advised them to get quotes, at least three and specified what they needed.

She called me back this week and said a young man from Oakland, Me. , called and gave her a price of $3000.00. Their roof is about 14 squares and this would amount to about $210 a square.
The specifications, were to remove and dispose of the old roofing material, replace all the drip edge with 8" aluminum, 15# felt on the roof with at the minimum of 20 year roofing material.

Your estimate of $150/$175 was accurate for this area.
I think this quote is way high, and they are trying to make a fast buck.

The roof I am talking about is also 10/12 pitch, which is a lot different than the 4 in 12 or 5 in 12 pitch your are indicating.

I would recommend another estimate at this point.
I would also recommend that the old roofing get stripped. Re-roofing over old has never proven out and never will. The new roofing will take the shape of the old in approximately two years and takes off about five years on the warranty of the product. Having been in Construction all my life, I am a strong advocated on removing old roofing, because of what I have seen in the past.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Jeff:

$150 - $175 about right for a 30 year shingle application.

Variables that impact estimations will include Dormers, Valleys, Sheathing, Fascia, Gutters and flashing. Elevations and pitch will also factor into the pricing.

Metal roofing has an estimate guideline of $250 - $600 per square depending on the material.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Joe; compare the difference between the two.
Not much difference between 20 and 30 year product.
Stripping and disposal make a difference, since these shingles might be asbestos content. Clean-up, protection, felt paper, drip edge. All these factors add up, and this other guy wants more money just for adding roofing to the existing. Apples and oranges.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

There is also a noticeable cost variation in different types of asphalt shingles.3-tab are the cheapest . Heritage or Timberline, (around here we call 'em fake shake) ,are quite a bit more expensive per sq.

Always get more than one bid.I even recomend this to my own potential build job or remodel clients.

The cheapest isn’t always the best but at least with 3 or 4 bids you can form a good average cost.

Cheremie