Flat Roof Replacement Estimate

Calling all roofers. This flat roof is about 80 ft long x 50 ft wide. Anyone have a ballpark estimate for replacement of the surface.

flatroof.jpg

Core sample?

How many layers?

How many stories?

How accessible is site?

What are local dumpster fees?

Union or non-union required?

What type of decking?

How is it attached to the decking?

What R-Value and thickness insulation do they want for the new roof sustem?

What type of roof membrane or roof system is specified?

Is there an anticipated start date?

How long do they want to wait?

What is under the roof? Offices with tens of thousands of dollars of computers or empty storage areas?

What part of the country is this in, specifically?

Is the related architectural sheet metal work to be included?

Ed

Here in Central PA, you are looking at 300 to 500 a square, so 12000 to 20000 dollars

I do not understand the maths.

$1,200-$2,000 would seem a very cheap roof. Are you sure it isn’t $12,000-$20,000? It is a 4,000 square foot roof.

And 300-500 a square foot? You could gold plate the roof for that.

I do not understand the maths.

$1,200-$2,000 would seem a very cheap roof. Are you sure it isn’t $12,000-$20,000? It is a 4,000 square foot roof.

And 300-500 a square foot? You could gold plate the roof for that.

I am not a roofer but would assume the following excluding installation:
Fiberglass coated with asphalt: between $30 – $35 per square foot. The weight per square can range from 200 to 300 pounds. Wood shingles: between $100 – $200 per square foot. The weight per square can vary from 300 to 350 pounds. Clay/Concrete tiles: Tiles can cost between $150 – $500 per square foot. The weight per square can vary from 500 – 1200 pounds. Steel and Aluminum: between $150 – $250 per square foot. The weight per square is in the range of 50 – 100 pounds. Natural Slate: between $300 – $600 per square foot. It weighs between 600 – 2000 pounds per square.

$30-$35 per square foot for the asphalt tiles, with one hundred square foot in a square.

Surely your estimate must exclude labor Russell?

Nope, the price I gave was for a rubber roof. including labor

A square is 100 square feet, so that roof has 40 squares. Using the $300 per square figure would result in a total of about $12,000. Maybe a little high, but not much.

Jim King

Rubber roof? What happened to natural slate? The material of choice for those of us with strong arms and big bank balances.

i just envisioned someone smearing tar on a beautiful slate roof…lol

Natural slate on a flat roof?
Bad idea.
Stu

A slate roof on a flat roof? You guys do things different over their.

Here is a pretty high GUESS-TIMATE.

1,000.00 Dumpsters 6,000.00 Tear-off
4,000.00 Insulation 10,000.00 Duro-Last single ply membrane
$ 3,750.00 Flashings

$ 24,750.00

No details provided, no accuracy guaranteed to be anywhere near close.

Ed

And Duo-Last meets energy star ratings. Great roofing system. The roof looks like its a Modified bitimum & EPDM. It can also be covered with a GAF top coat, if there is no water intrusion and the seams are still good. Half the cost of a new single ply. And meets energy star also, Not as good of a warranty though, but you save on tear-off.

I think Ed is pretty close on cost, as a guestament

I neglected to add for the duct work removal and possible hoisting of any hidden hvac unit I did not see. Sorry, I only glanced quickly at the photo.

So, add for HVAC subcontractor and possible crane time or rental of HVAC unit jacks.

Ed

Ed I think your close I was going to say 750.00 per square @ 40 square =

The pitiful thing is, that many unknowledgeable so called contractors would b e scratching their heads trying to figure out how they can get this job at between 8,000.00 to 12,000.00, just because they think they need the work that bad.

Gee, I can do that cheaper than Company A, and I can do mthat cheaper than Company B, until it winds up shaving the actual specs and dilutes the full realization of what the roof was intended to do in the first place.

Flat roofs are one of the highest liability fields to work on. There is no such thing as just “felting” it in to make it dry. Once it is opened up, you are committed, or should be.

Ed

Here I would have told them to budget for $6.00 per square foot=$24,000.00

The above post is a good example for my clients when they ask “what will that cost?” I tell them get three different bids from contractors and you will have three different prices thousands of dollars apart.

In the end there is no “flat rate” manual for homes so the cost is whatever the contractor is charging, and only he knows that.

As soon as you ballpark the figure, the client will close, and find someone more expensive than, your ballpark figure. It never fails. Kind of like Murphy’s law.

[quote=hmiller]

The above post is a good example for my clients when they ask “what will that cost?” I tell them get three different bids from contractors and you will have three different prices thousands of dollars apart.

In the end there is no “flat rate” manual for homes so the cost is whatever the contractor is charging, and only he knows that.

quote]

Therein lies the fault within the “Get 3 Bids” misleading advise. One would certainly do better by findng the contractor with the right shills and knowledge and specifications, than to randomly select 3 guys and get 3 sets of differing specifications all across the board.

I’ll find a paper I wrote a few months ago as an advice piece, titled: “Whats Wrong With Getting 3 Bids?”, and then post it here later.

Ed