Rotten Rim Joist

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Split level houses with porches like this have something you want to watch for. They also have a little open area under the entryway to see it from.

This porch slopes toward the house pooling water. Guess where it went.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/OutsidePorch.jpg

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/RottedJoist2.jpg

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/RottedJoist3.jpg

Note how well the CMU supporting the area are put together. Nice smooth mortar job.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Erby,

Don't forget that this is one of the most common locations for termite and carpenter ant infestation. Most times I have to move lots of stuff just to get a look at this type of area below the landing.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Nice stuff Erby.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: rking

Erby,

I have said it before, but I must say it again… Boy you get some good inspections. icon_smile.gif

Your cheeks must get awful sore after inspections like these when you are alone and cannot help but laugh at the stupidity of some people

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Steering Committee Member At Large

The pest control guy was pretty ethical though. While walking around the outside tailed by the buyer, his fiancee, and myself, the buyer said he definitely wanted to pay for and have done a preventive treatment. They pest control guy actually told him not to waste his money as there was a good soil pre-treatment prior to construction of the subdiviison and no evidence of past or active termite activity.

Now most pest control guys I know (most not all) would've jumped on that and sold a pre-treatment and a preventive yearly program too.

It was also kind of nice to have the buyers there with me too. I really didn't have to explain much other than that there was an issue inside the space that he would probably want to crawl in and look at. They were VERY appreciative.

Might I add, I'm glad I knew this space was there and went looking for the entryway. Another year or two and I would have been hearing back from the buyer about my piece of s#!t inspection not finding this major problem. Right about the time he walked into the house and fell thru the floor because the floor joists had finally rotted enough to no longer support the floor.

It's really a fairly simple, though costly, repair.

Rebuild and reinforce the block wall. Use concrete lifting technology to raise the slab to a proper slope and seal the cracks to prevent water penetration. Replace the rim joists and floor joists. Hmmm, several thousand dollars out of someone's pocket.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Erby,

What... No termites. I think your pest inspector better look a little closer at this area. According to my close-up, I can see major termite activity. Treatment was definately needed and he talked her out of it. Nice guy.

Look closer...They are there!
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0termitedamag1.jpg

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

, I sometimes have a hard time tolerating it, but at most times I have no choice!!!

Muskoka Home Inspections

Well, personally David, I think you just have a big tendency for distorted vision.

I mean, after all, isn't it you who thinks Gerry wears suits and Nick has a swollen head that looks just like Gerry. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I can just imagine what you do with pictures of women.

Robert,

A lot of people just don't think about it. As a widow for a couple of years, she probably never uses her front door. Just goes down the driveway and into the tuckunder garage at the back. You may see it as stupid but there are a lot of people out there to whom a home is just a house, and if it isn't leaking or squeaking, they just don't notice.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

Okay , I take back the stupid quote in this case. There are sometimes extenuating circumstances which preclude stupidity, and this is one of them.

Being widowed for a couple of years she obviously had some other concerns that may or not have been as important.

Can I ask what her reaction was when she was informed of the problem if she was indeed informed?

I still do not understand though how so many people let their biggest investment get into such disrepair!

Muskoka Home Inspections

I haven’t heard back yet. She probably won’t find out about it until Monday, when the buyers agent and seller’s agent begin their repair negotiations.

We'll see.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens

I agree with Neal real hot spot for termites. I do not see any signs of termite damage in the photos, I do see damage from brown rot. It looks that the area stays to wet even for termites, but hey its just a picture. If I was inspecting this house for termites I would recommend a treatment due to the conducive conditions for possible termite infestation. I have been in the termite biz for quite some time. Trust me if the pest inspector did not recommend treatment, when the termites swarm in this are in the spring he will sure wish he had, when the home owner calls to complain because he said they did not have active termites. I See it all the time home buyers think that because there were no termites there when they moved in there can’t be any when they wake up the next day or even a year later.