Rusted Gas Line

Hi,
Recently I did an inspection where the gas line was under the house in the crawl space. The line is black steel and somewhat rusted (see photo). It appears to be more than just surface rust. Rather than make a call as to whether there was an actual problem or not, I recommended further investigation by the utility company. I got a call from an upset realtor because she thinks I recommended replacing the line. Maybe I’m second guessing myself now. I am a newbie at this. What would you have done? Did I overreact?

DSCF0140.jpg

Howard…based on the small photo you posted I probably would not have called that out for further investigation. Now, you say it appeared to be more than surface rust and you were there and saw it with your own eyes so I could be wrong. The realtor has no say-so in the matter. This is between you and your client so make a call, best you can, with the information at hand and stand behind it.

Howard…based on the small photo you posted I probably would not have called that out for further investigation. Now, you say it appeared to be more than surface rust and you were there and saw it with your own eyes so I could be wrong. The realtor has no say-so in the matter. This is between you and your client so make a call, best you can, with the information at hand and stand behind it.

I think I would of said in the report:

“Natural Gas Piping is deteriorated from rust caused by moisture and age, in my professional opinion I would suggest you consider replacing the pipe for the safety of the occupants. Because of the location the pipe is not visible unless someone went into the crawlspace and looked at it every once in a while, and since we both know this probably will never occur, simply replace it and reduce the chance for failure”.

Cover your azz, and because it is deteriorated, I know if it was mine I would replace it. Certainly is not like your installing a new roof or something, this is quite simple and will not cost a small fortune.

From here, to me, it looks like surface rust on carbon steel pipe. Most likely a coat of paint would fix it right up. :smiley:
</IMG>

Don’t feel bad about writing something like that in a report. It’s good that you are keeping your eyes open during the course of an inspection. I write up rusty gas lines all the time, but I usually add a little blurb in there that it is a natural occurance because of the nature of the material. I add in there that regular preventative maintenance should be done by removing surface rust and applying a protective coat of rust inhibiting paint.

My thinking is it is best to call out defects weather they be major or minor. The trick is writing it up so that you do not appear to be a nit picky alarmist, but a thorough one who has his clients best interests in mind. Some realtors may wind up hating you, some will love you. You will probably get more referrals from satified clients though.

Thanks everyone for your input. Your experience is much appreciated. It would be nice if there was some sort of mentoring program or apprenticeship for new home inspectors. Hard to find… and then there’s liability issues as well. I heard back from the buyer on this one. He had a quote to replace the galvanized steel plumbing and the gas line. The new plumbing would be warrantied for 10 years, but the gas line only 1 year. Makes him feel better that if a new line is only warrantied for one year, then the existing rusted one should be replaced.