Gas line question on new house

Hi all,

I am new to this site so hopefully I am posting this in the right place. I am purchasing a new home and am concerned about the gas line in the basement-see the attached pictures. It is kind of embedded into the drywall, it looks like they messed up some of their piping maybe? Im not sure why they would install it this way. It is metal piping.

p.s. I am having a full independant home inspection done next week but wanted to get extra opinions on this as well.

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated!

Jon

It’s not that uncommon to see this. Ask your inspector at the beginning of the inspection so he can keep a look out for any unusual reasons for it. It most commonly is due to the location of things such as the spacing of the Engineered Floor Joists (support), or electrical wiring, etc… or framing and insulating materials within the finished wall or any number or things.

Thank you Jeffrey-is it anything to be concerned about, or something that I should request be corrected (its new construction)?

No, it shouldn’t be a concern… it’s more of a visual eyesore than anything… but…

Disclaimer: It could be an indication of anything, so be sure to bring it to your inspectors attention so he may address your concerns. :slight_smile:

I just can’t see it very well from here! :mrgreen:

From here it basically looks like sloppy work. No safety issue to be concerned with.

With that type of installation performance, I would be looking extra hard at everything else in this new build. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Yes, I have not been happy with this construction company at all, and certainly wouldnt recommend them; their communication is horrible and they seem to mess a lot of stuff up…As I said, I am having it independantly inspected and I have been keeping a very close eye on them (much to their dismay…). But the end is in sight and I think it will still be a good first home for me-there havent been any major messups that are against code or safety concerns, but they have definetly done things differently than I wanted. I guess that just means more opportunities for home improvement projects;-)

Jon, feel free to share any issues your inspector may discover throughout the home.

It’s sad when someone is having a new home built, and they are already talking about home improvement projects!