Sagging Beam Limits

Originally Posted By: pbennett1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Cant seem to find anything on beams as far as the formulas, i.e., L/240 (ceiling joists) L/280 (roof rafters). Does anyone know?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

You can find deflection limits in the local codes or IRC, but those measurements and calculations are beyond a home inspection.

If there is clearly visible sagging or flex in the framing it is usually a concern that may need to be looked at more closely.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Beams would fall under the L/240 range (L/360 based on load combinations). However, this is a structural requirement. There are many conditions were a beam is within the L/240 range and would be a problem. We not only limit deflection to L/240 (or similar limit) but also to an actual amount. Floor joist are limited to 1/2" and beams to 3/4" in living areas.

I agree with Robert. If you notice the deflection and it is a concern, it should be reported and referred to an engineer.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: pbennett1

The beam deflects by about 1/4" in 43.5 inches due to removed foundation material which seems to be an ongoing building practice in NJ. I always call this out, especially when there are joists on top of the beam, and the buyer tells me they have plans of adding a second story.