Scam?

Hey guys,

Got a call today from a woman who lives in Houston. She wants me to inspect a house in Kansas City, in a not so great neighborhood. Anyway, she’s paying cash and the property goes for $7,500. She’s acknowledged that the house is run down, but has concerns about foundation issues. She gave me the name of the property management company and a phone number to call and get the code to get it. I left a message on the “office phone”. I can’t find the property management company anywhere on google. The house and the name of the property is listed on Zillow. Anyway, should I be concerned about some sort of scam or is this common practice?

Daniel Sink
Crest Home Inspections
www.kcinspector.com

Pack your heat.

Smells fishy to me, if you’re unsure enough to post… Well, your instincts are probably correct.
And as Frank pointed out… Pack your heat…or not… I just try to avoid bad neighborhoods.

Get a signed agreement and paid in full before inspection…

What’s the address?

The client signed the preinspection agreement as asked. I will be packing heat. Even though the neighborhood is rough I’m familiar with it because I work as a firefighter in the area. Sorry, not listing the address because of client confidentiality. Now I’m waiting to see how legit this property management company is. That’s my deciding point.

Good luck be careful.

Keep us posted.

Perhaps you smell smoke and your company clears the home of those fire starting squatters before you enter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I’ll keep you posted.

Go Royals!

Get paid with a cc# up front. No pay no play.

Daniel -----------

Something we see frequently is:

People in Florida, California, New York, Texas set thru a “Nothing Down Seminar” or a “How To Buy Cheap Then Flip & Make BIG Bucks” Seminar. Then the seminar people give out lists of Foreclosed, Etc property in places like KC where sales prices are lower to start with than where these folks are from. They get lists of older ghetto blaster 3,000sf - 4,000sf houses around 23rd and Prospect, etc AND think … they’ll make a killing, etc. Most of them are REALLY “rough stuff fixer / uppers”.

On one of these you always get your inspection agreement signed in front cause your buyer won’t be there AND you get your $$$$$$ upfront … NO billing afterward … YOU don’t go out the door till $$$$$$ is in your pocket. Then you take heat AND me personally ALWAYS take my faithful puppy FLUFFY along.

Don’t get carried away on writing defects OR you’ll be there all day … make notes like:

"During the examination of the electrical system, we noted defects, such as:

A, B, C, D, etc. **This is a sample of the electrical defects noted at the property. **

When doing any repairs would be an ideal time to upgrade and consider installing a carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector at any sleeping rooms or levels of the building without them; as well as installing GFCI outlets at all wet locations like baths, exterior, etc. where they don’t currently exist.

We recommend having a licensed and competent electrician read ALL electrical comments anywhere in the report; review the electrical system conditions present; then service, modify or repair any defects or unreliable conditions as necessary to properly and safely correct them".

Been there, done this. You really should take a second person along. Many of these homes should be torn down. They have termite infested flooring, basements full of water, attics full of vermin of all types, heavy mold, knob-tube wiring, galvanized, rusted water lines, bad sewer pipes, etc. I have done three of these, all were torn down. One home I was there 10 minutes, took some pictures, and was out of there.

Most all property management companies are legit, but hide because their properties do not meet code, and they do not want anyone snooping around. However they do open up to you, when they can sell a property to someone else, that is beyond it’s useful life…

Do the inspection in the morning, when most people in the hood are asleep. Do not do after 2:00 P.M.

You need to pass on this inspection.

I did a run down house a few weeks ago. It was pretty sketchy, the boards on the windows had been ripped off the back window. A trash-bag had been hung over the window and held in place by stabbing two big pocket knives into the wall. I wish I would have had a dog, or another person with me. It worked out fine but it was sketchy.

I should have known when the agent kindof laughed when I told him the address…but in fairness…he did warn me.

Update: So I went to the house for the inspection and posted on the front window was a sign from the county that said, “Not fit for human inhabitants.” I unlocked the front door and the floor sloped back toward the rear of the house, electrical outlets were burnt, rodent feces was present, windows were broken, and the gas meter was completely missing. I had called the property management company prior to showing up to get the code for the lock box. I asked if the utilities were on and if the house was safe, and they assured it was. After finding these unpleasant conditions, I called the client to tell them what I found and that continuing with the inspection would be pointless. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a hold of her. I did what I could and felt safe doing with the inspection. I completed the report and that evening got a hold of the client. I ran her credit card then sent the report. I then called her and was very straight forward with her about what I saw. She told me that the property management company lied to her about these conditions. She was very grateful to me for saving her thousands of dollars. She insisted that I inspect for her in the future since I saved her a lot of headache.

Glad it worked out for you both…:slight_smile:

well done. some of these are sketchy, but there are clients that often make offers sight unseen. I had one last year, he saw the house the first time when I saw it, the inspection took 10 minutes, it was that bad.

that said, be careful out there, going out alone we can be injured or worse