Scary Call yesterday

Got a call from a realtor yesterday wanting to ask some questions about a home I inspected about 3 weeks ago. She said the client just closed on the home and the ceiling in the kitchen started leaking. I told her that I would look over the report and pictures and call her back in about 10 min. After looking at the report and my pictures I remembered that the AC was in the attic and that the breakers were turned off so the unit could not be tested(stated in my report) The attic was also farely small with no floor so it was inspected from the scuddle hole anyway I called the realtor back and stated the above mentioned and also told her that the blow-in insulation might be clogging the condensation lines on the AC and the condensation pan underneath the unit…I told the realtor to call me anytime with any other questions she might have and I have not heard anything back and she seemed to be happy with the information I provided…fingers still crossed…lol

Whenever something is shut off, I always make sure that I put a phrase in my report that states that that item should be verified prior to closing by the appropriate contractor, or get a written disclosure from the seller (if there is one)

Whenever I get a call like that thankfully not many, I am at the clients house at my earliest oppotunity to check the situation and hopefully stop something minor from turning into something major. The clients I have re-visited have been very happy with the outcome and appreciated my quick response.

No attic floor. Limited access. HVAC equipment present. Did you address these issues concerning attic access and HVAC equipment?

Mechanical equipment in an attic space or in an under-floor crawlspace should be accessible for service and removal.

1. In addition to an adequately sized access opening, a passageway should be provided. In an attic, the passageway should be made of solid flooring.

2. There should be an opening to the space and a clear unobstructed passageway large enough to allow removal of the mechanical appliance. The opening should be at least 30 inches by 20 inches.

3. The passageway should be at least 30 inches high, at least 22 inches wide, and not more than 20 feet in length when measured along the centerline of the passageway from the opening to the appliance. There are some exceptions.

4. A service area is required in front of the mechanical equipment with a minimum dimension of 30 inches by 30 inches.

5. A light fixture should be installed to illuminate the passageway and the mechanical appliance.

6. A control switch should be installed near the entry to the passageway.

7. An electrical receptacle should be installed at or near the mechanical appliance to allow for safe and convenient maintenance or service of the appliance.

Anthony -

Why were you dealing with the real estate agent. Politely thank her for telling you, then get off your BUTT and take charge of YOUR business and YOUR liability AND call YOUR client ASAP - TO talk to them 1st hand / Not He Said - She Said through the 3rd party (the agent).

to your and Dan’s post:

If you are the first person they call, that is a good thing.

They may be calling you to fry your sorry butt, but the called you first.

So, take the opportunity and get out there, FIRST, and take photos and dodument that the HVAC install was stupid and made no sense (easy,. homeowner access is necessary to proper homeowner maintance, you silly Realtor!).

If you get out there first:

1. you are the client hero.
  2. you can document the conditions AFTER you inspected it.
  3. You can offer unbiased, no-fee advice on how to fix it.

And serve your client. They are in a world of tension, even if there is no real problem, but YOU showed up to help them.

Goes a LOOOONG way.

Hope this helps;

What he said.

Nuff Said!

It has been almost 2 weeks now with no further comment or complaint. I always take an unreal amount of pictures for just such an occasion and I was able to give advice on the situation…also the limited access was address along with the fact that the HVAC unit was turned off at the breaker and could not be inspected at the time of the inspection…thanks for all the input.