Scuttle access light!!

This light at the attic access was a real brainier.

I just used the light to illuminate the attic and kept my flashlight on my belt.:shock:

I have an idea that I would enjoy playing. Kinda like Inspector hold em!

You would post photos from the same homes electrical system that was inspected. For instance this photo was from a home that I have at least 20 photos of defects.

The inspector that posts the most defects from the same home they inspected would win.

Other inspectors and a moderate could vote on the worst electrical system.

What’s wrong with the covered globe fixture in the attic?

Sure beats the unprotected keyless right at the top of the stairs/opening that when bumped will shatter and cause lacerations and a shock.

Been there more than once.

Just an example of what I’m talking about and about all we see installed around here.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/255263/2/istockphoto_255263_light_bulb_on_an_attic_ceiling.jpg

Look again, that fixture is not IN the attic, it is mounted to the OUTSIDE of the scuttle cover.

I could easily beat you with yesterdays wonder home…I found this and thank god it only hurt a bit…exactly where you put your hand climbing into attic was this wonderful surprise…

oh and any guess on what gauge wire that is!!!

Curt

zap.JPG

#6-3 romax cable sometime larger if used to run to subfeed box ]

Merci, Marc

Nice place to put a range.

I find it quite often here, especially in certain neighborhoods.

Barry I like the ones that are not mounted ridgid they don’t break when you bump into them:D The switch is mobile also fed with an extension cord through the door jam;-)

I seem to remember a Joseph Hagarty picture from a few years ago in which a recessed light was mounted in a set of pull down attic stairs. I can’t seem to scare up that picture, but maybe somebody remembers what thread it was posted in.

A few years ago means it is probably located on the old forum.

Edit: Found it on the old forum

Soooo, assuming that the wiring was done properly (I know, BIG assumption), is there really anything wrong with it?

I would say yes. For example the wiring to the scuttle cover is going to be moved and can be damaged.

I guess I was thinking more about the disappearing stair picture immediately above, rather than the removable scuttle hole cover.