Second job while starting out as a new inspector

Anyone care to share what they did for work while getting started in the inspection business. Were you able to continue with your current job until you gained enough clients to let the first job go? Did you try just inspections but realized in the beginning that you had to take a second job to make ends meet untill you gained enough work to live on just the inspection work? Did you get enough work from day 1 to not have to worry about it? Does your spouse make enough to allow you to just do inspections…etc. As a truck driver, I would have to quit my current job and figure out something else. Maybe I will get a part time job at a big box home improvement store! Biggest “hands on” cheat sheet. :grin: Thanks!

2 Likes

Why not drive locally on an on call or part time basis while working on the inspection career?

I studied to be a teacher at the university but didn’t use it.

I was a “hands on” building business owner. I started that, after building a web site, talking to people about what I was thinking on doing, getting my LLC, studying, Taking the test, aligning my attorney, accountant, etc… and then went right into Home inspection full time. I had done some home “Look Arounds” before that for 30 years, or more occasionally, but didn’t realize what I didn’t know to do on inspections before the classroom, and online studying.

However, I am aware of other that kept their day jobs e.g. military, engineering, pharmaceutical sales, etc. and scheduled their inspections on days off, evenings, weekends, etc. until they felt they could exit their"day Job" and do home inspections full time.

I hope that was helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Emmanuel! My first thought during this process was to drive part time locally, but after 14 years of driving, I am way more than ready to step away from the transportation industry all together. I plan on keeping my CDL current as an “insurance policy”. But after this long in this rolling prison, I think I would rather bag groceries than get behind the wheel of anything that weighs more than 20,000 lbs.

Thanks for the " gold nugget" Larry. I wish you a speedy recovery. I had a “mishap” at work once that broke both of my wrists. I had casts on both of my arms for 6 weeks, and by the sounds of what you went thru, I would rather break them both again vs what you experienced.

1 Like

Helpful hints for New Inspectors.pdf (230.1 KB)
Here’s some things to look over…goo luck.

3 Likes

Morning Aaron. Hope to find you well and in good spirits today.
What I did for work while getting started in the inspection business. I operated a provincially registered exterior restoration and repair company. Mostly masonry but included lot water management, foundation repairs, cleaning and repairing blockages in perimeter drainage fields, repairing foundation cracks, installing ceder decks, weather proofing homes, roofing and roof repairs, etc. I had been in the trades, many trade facets, for roughly >< 30+ years.

You must have a source of income while transitioning your revenue stream unless you wish to use money you have saved which would not be recommended. The home inspection business failure rate is roughly >< 50%. Kenton Shepard posted this 2 or 3 days ago.

You must be prepared to financially expend operational costs while paying your household monthly bills until you can earn a living from home inspections. Expect an 18 to 36 month transitional period.

If you wish, give me a call and I will tell you how to fast tract on making your company’s rankings present on web browsers.

1 Like

I have a full time day job, cnc program writer, I do Inspections on weekends, weeknights, it’s harder, but doable, I became an inspector in the beginning of covit-19 crap so I am glad at this point am still working, I was doing mailers, calling realtors , getting nowhere, three weeks ago I brought my truck in for oil change at the dealer the service manager wife is a realtor here in town, she called me I told her my situation with work, she has slid a few my way on weekends and weeknights, been busy and fun, so my point is you can do this,and I will to

3 Likes

Nice response, Bryan! It can be done… :smiley:

My plan is to do late afternoons and weekends. I work from 4am-1230pm so there is time. I’m definitely not quitting my day job though because as Mike Tyson once said, “Everone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

3 Likes

Good morning Aaron, I totally understand the rolling prison referance you made earlier. I currently drive for a local ready mix company. We work ridiculous hours (60 to 70+ hrs) M-F, talk about working dark to dark… Because we punch a time clock and not run electronic logs, our “HOS” gets pushed to limit and beyond. I have been trying to get my inspection business goin for several months with little time to do so. Until it gets going, I have to be a part time inspector, giving up my weekends and holidays etc… Since I am used to working so many hours with little to no sleep, I have told a few realtors that I could do evenings as long as the home is unoccupied. Who wants to have a home inspector show up when they are having dinner or putting their kids to bed? It is like any other thing in life, you reap what you sew. With the right mindset and perseverance anything is possible… Good luck to you!!!

1 Like

Thank you Ted! Turns out I must have grabbed a copy of that PDF elsewhere in the message board because it asked me if I wanted to download it again. Very informative and I greatly appreciate it.

Great response Bryan. I am sure I will have to follow a similar path as you to get started. Its gonna be an uphill battle, but we will make that climb!

Michael im glad to see someone in the same boat as me. Someone who can directly relate to the hardship of learning when you can’t read or watch YouTube videos because you spend nearly all your time either driving, or dealing with whatever you are hauling when you stop. Most nights when I lay in my bunk, or in my bed at home, I try to get in whatever I can for learning before falling asleep. Many times I have awaken to my alarm to find my iPad on the floor and only recalling the first 10 minutes of the video. My only issue with my current job is, I never know what will happen tomorrow until 4 pm today. We leave all hours of the day or night. No consistency at all. I could be back at the shop the same day, or be gone for 3 days before coming back. I WILL have to quit this job in order to make room in my life for this new adventure, but I am willing to do it. If you have to start a new job, why not start 2 new jobs! Good luck to you as well!

Side note to those who are not truck drivers: I am not saying that truck drivers have it the hardest when it comes to transitioning into something new, but we don’t have it the easiest either. We all struggle. Hang in there!

Lol…its about the only smart thing Mike Tyson has ever said, but so true! I hope it all works out for you Brett!

1 Like

Aaron,

I have been doing inspections for a little over 5 years. I have maintained my full-time job as a federal employee. (I work at a private university teaching in the ROTC Dept) I am able to balance both quite nicely, and also have my military retirement pension to fall back on as well. My wife is a real-estate agent, who thought doing home inspections would be a good fit, she also helped with getting my name out there…and no, I do not, and will not ever do an inspection in which she is involved in.

When I first started doing inspections, I typically scheduled them on the weekends and late afternoons, and would only take on enough not to overwhelm myself. That helped to also lessen the stress of not getting inspections.

I am glad that I kept both teaching and inspections, it is nice to have multiple sources of income that are also not in any related.

Best wishes on your decision and good luck out in the field!

3 Likes

I have been in banking for 17 years and always enjoyed owning a home and learning how things worked and how they were built. I am currently a licensed Home Inspector in Fl. starting my own business. I need to gain more exposure and plan to start out PT until I can call this a full time job. My spouse is working which certainly helps. Right now I’m marketing myself trying to talk to Realtors and joining local Chamber and InterNACHI chapter.

Bill Berger

1 Like

Mark,
I’ve done inspections through my trying, But I’m having a challenge trying to get that first paying inspection. I guess I just need to keep pounding the pavement !

1 Like

Be patient, and have faith, the calls will come!

2 Likes

Helpful hints for New Inspectors.pdf (230.1 KB)
Check this out, keep on trucking.

1 Like