Seems unconventional to me?

It always ticked me off about their <5’ rule.

Use to see what we used to call a “pressure block” install like this until the last decade or so. Difference was the blocking at ledger between joists was a full block to discourage twisting of joist.

Can’t think I would like the blocks being short between joists.

Primary attachment of blocks to ledger and joist would be 16d nails (galv on exposed)

Gentlemen. Listen to an old fart. That 1x4 is called a “ledger strip”, and it does indeed partially support the joists, and was the state of the art in deck framing before there were joist hangers. The joists were additionally tied in by toe-nailing, and when I started in this business, every deck was built this way. No one had ever seen a joist hanger, and the decks didn’t collapse. I would bet there have been more collapses since the advent of joist hangers than before, for various reasons.

Is it an unconventional way to build a deck, by modern standards? Yes, it is. Is it an inherently unsafe method? No, it is not. Would I recommend ripping everything out only to install joist hangers? I don’t know enough to answer that question. I would need to know the species, grade, and treatment of the wood, the exact method of anchoring the joists to the house, and the presence or absence of any deterioration in the wood or fasteners. Assuming all those were satisfactorx, I might simply point out that the method of deck construction is no longer state of the art, and recommend periodic inspection.

Jeez, what a bunch of “deal-busters”…except for Marcel. :slight_smile:

Hey Richard, you old fart, ha. ha., I zoomed in on that and don’t see a ledger board, hell don’t even see toenails.

Without those blocks, yep, that’s how we used to do it, and a lot of times no ledger boards.

Maybe, I am missing something here.

Not quite to today’s standard though, agree?

Thanks

Marcel :slight_smile:

Damned if you’re not right! At 400%, it becomes obvious to these old flu-ridden eyes. In that case, remove those blocks, taking care to first temporarily support the joists. Verify that the ledger board is indeed lag-screwed or bolted to the house structure, and then slip in some nice shiny up-to-date joist hangers, and all will be happy.

I think that is pretty much what Brian D said last night and it appears today that I mistakenly posted that twice…only meant to post it once though…apparently that irratated someone as i got an unsigned red square for my mistake…oh well , not the first or last unsinged red i’m sure…jim

Must use properly sized joist hangers. Was the ledger board bolted to the rim joist? Flashing for the ledger board?

I agree and (since I can’t tell from the pic) if the span is too great, place another beam in there and go home.

What is it with those squares? I got a black one once for posting an opinion on one of the political threads…an opinion!!

I think some people just lurk around reading posts, not ever posting anything helpful and drinking vinegar. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bruce

You got the red, probably because you agreed with me. :wink:

I don’t thins so Brian…I got another unsigned red for for my last post saying i didn’t intend to agree with you quite so aggressively, but just in case I’ll make it a point to never agree with You on anything again:D …lol…jim
</IMG></IMG>

This system is a variation on pressure blocking. Very common in certain areas up until about the early 1980’s.

Properly-installed, a block is nailed tothe ledger in every other bay and joists are nailed tight to each side. Proper nailing scedule per joist:

3- 16d through the block into the ledger
2- 16d through the joist into the block
3- 16d toenails through the joist into the ledger

Hangers are preferable, but this is not a defective condition unless inadequately fastened.

LOL, pretty sad isn’t it. :stuck_out_tongue:

From my past experience, shouldn’t both joists be touching the alleged “pressure block”, instead of an 1 1/2 gap between the joist and the block?

I agree Kenton, all is acceptable to me (not local codies though) if done properly.