Self standing deck with?

I have seen worse as well just not this type of construction so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t too far off with my assessment in calling it out. Thank You!

Afternoon, Kevin.
I recommend *further evaluation and repairs where required by a licensed carpentry contractor *. Reasoning being, Limitations. When all the deck was not observed.
If the client repairs what was reported and there are other defects or deficiencies you could be hung out to dry.
Just my point of view.

The deck bible is a great tool to use.

My summaries are categorized as major defects, minor defects, potential safety defects, and recommendations for further review. Any safety defect that in my opinion could cost more than 2K to repair or replace would be reported as a major defect.

What else would you use to hold up that ‘hot tub’? :roll_eyes:

I NEVER recommend a “qualified DECK contractors”. Most don’t know their arse from a hole in the ground!!

3 Likes

When areas of the deck are not visible for inspection, report it as such, same goes for attic spaces, crawlspaces, etc., and you’re correct, areas such as these that aren’t visible or accessible should have recommendation for further evaluation, but not if you can see it and inspect it as was stated in an earlier post that I replied to.

I have a note in my summary that states that all repairs be made by qualified contractors in that field of expertise.

1 Like

It’s a laminated beam of some sort for sure. Whether or not glue, fasteners, dowels, etc… were used in it’s fabrication is TBD (and not your problem). Laminated beams can be made of any kind of material, but if it’s untreated yellow pine for example, and used for a deck then it’s not right. If you haven’t taken the “How to inspect a deck” course yet, you should. It has a lot of good graphics and examples of what to look for…

1 Like

Then they are not “qualified”, IMHO…

3 Likes

Beefing up would be beneficial. What the piers are actually sitting on is a concern .

1 Like

There isn’t a hot tub. But using a Glulam seems a bit overkill for a 10’ deck that doesn’t have a hot tub. So I would have used 2x8 24”OC. That maybe a little too boring I guess but proven to work.

Doesn’t have one NOW
Again… Like I said above… “Just because you can’t see something, doesn’t make it wrong.”

You were right on your analysis and call. The issue is not the materials used but the structural integrity. The deck has none. It is a safety issue. Good call.

Welcome to our forum, David!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like