Septic Inspections

I’ve been asked if I do septic inspections. I don’t, but am curious. I will usually refer to a septic company, because I don’t see how you can inspect a system without digging and pumping it out. As far as I know, you have to be certified in NH for septic. Anyone have more info for NH?

Hi Richard,

welcome to NACHI!

there was a bill in house this session for licensing and it was ITL’d

you might see it again next session, as far as a cert. I don’t
know of one.

too much liability IMO

Carla

Thank you Carla. That’s pretty much what I’ve been told by the local septic guys. Any info on Maine? Anyone?

PA has an organization (PSMA - PA Septic Mgmnt Assoc) that provides training in a protocol for septic inspections.

Actually, I am a NACHI member, but am unable to sign on as a member for some reason

we do them in MI. Load and dye test, dig up the lid and open it to inspect the baffle is functioning properly. no need to pump it out to inspect it.

I live in a rural area, and wanted to add septic inspections to my list of services. I called the city, to ask about local code. They referred me to the county, which referred me to the state. They told me that it’s handled at the local level. The guy (2nd try) from the city told me they had a list of plumbers that were licensed. I called several of them, none would share with me the procedure to get licensed, but offer to come out and do the properties in question for an additional fee. Seems the guys who inspect septic tanks, also repair and install them, and don’t want any competition. I’m still working on it.

I have a local company who installs, pumps, and services them do the inspection.

They charge $250 for the pumping and inspection.

I charge the client $350.00, the septic company bills me.

Make a hundred bucks and everyone is happy.

Oh, I get it. “Go with the flow”.

:wink:

Yeah, I like to keep things rather simple…:smiley:

…and stay out of court. Every trainer I’ve heard from (NAWT and all local county and state) say load and dye tests are inconclusive. The only worse mistake is having it pumped before inspection.
Replacing a septic system can cost $20,000, not the kind of inspection you want to think you know how to perform, then find out the hard way that you’re wrong.

:roll: It seems that most of my “peers” are conducting simple dye tests for real estate transactions (average cost $125.). This seems to be the norm, and although I explain that a certified PSMA (In Pennsylvania) inspection is the best bet ($450. range), I’m loosing referrals and other inspection business. I’m thinking about providing what they want, but I want to be sure that my report includes all of the appropriate language, so I’m protected, and the client knows exactly what they’re paying for. Any suggestions on how to structure my agreement?
</IMG>

For your info!

I would stay away from dye tests. I think they are a rip off.