Service disconnect for furnace mounted on ductwork

Ok, I’ve seen some weird service disconnects but I’ve never seen it mounted on the ductwork. Is this even legal? Can the ductwork become energized? This is the electrical heating component of a heat pump located in a basement garage. I was initially looking for a simple light switch, not heavy duty connection.

Is this something I should note in the report?
Thanks in advance!

In MHO, no, but I am sure Electricians will chime in.
The disconnect should have been mounted to the wall and/or on a pedestal uni-strut stand adjacent to the unit independent of the furnace.

Was the panel grounded? Then no.
Isn’t the HVAC unit connected to the duct?
Isn’t there electrical stuff in the HVAC unit?

Hey all, Thanks for the response. I didn’t find anything in my code book other than it needs to be in sight of the furnace. It would seem to me that fluctuations in the ductwork would allow the screws to become loose and eventually present a hazard. My recommendation to the client will be to have it moved to the wall to provide a secure/unmovable base.

Anthony,
I don’t think there is anything in the NEC about it, but it is poor workmanship at the minimum as well as the cable should be secured.

I would be equally concerned about the 4” deep and crooked condensate trap too…that pan is surely holding some water

It appears to me as if the wire actually enters the duct through a gap in the aluminum tape(top left corner of furnace). This is definitely a cause for concern.

I think the black wire is secured in a clamp and enters the HVAC cabinet at the top, but not the duct. I had to zoom in quite a bit after downloading the image to see that. Perhaps the OP can update on that having seen the unit in person.

1 Like