Service Drop Clearances

Service drop from utility is connected at the underside soffitt of the roof. (just under 10 feet)

Rear window shown is the Children’s Room.

I know it isn’t right, but it is common. I see it often, and if you call an electrician out, he’ll tell them it’s fine. More than likely you’re looking at an older service line, and to replace the SEC and run the goosneck up through the roof, would also require a new service panel. You’re talking a good $2K for something that’s probably not going to change.

MY 2 cents… If the rest of the house and electrical system look good, tell them about it. If there is a reason to call out other stuff too, then write it up for what it is but don’t get excited over it.

I’d be more concerned about the clearance over that pool… Can’t tell from the pics where that falls.

Oh really. You know that for certain?
I would say it is crap. That service requires a mast. Plain and simple.

IMO that service has been replaced in the life of that home and someone skirted the codes. That service is not ancient.

Why would you say this? Why would it be mandatory to replace the panel???

The riser itself can be replaced w/o changing the panel box. I would definitely call out the fact it is too close to the window NEC 230.9(A) and to low NEC 230.24(B) It looks like someone could touch it by reaching out the window.

If that pool is under the service drop it needs 22.5 ft. clearance above the maximum water level. NEC 680.8(A)

The service cable travels from the far left corner of the property (Pole) to the home. It is not in proximity to the Pool.

The angle of the interior photo does give the appearance that the line runs over the pool.

I wish inspectors would stop quoting code violation on this BB.

Next thing you know we will have to have a ASTM standard for everything we inspect.

Can we just say it is for safety!!!

There is safety and the perception of safety, and some peoples opinion of safety. that is one of the reasons for a code or standard, to help develop some kind of guidance for what the minimum safety standards should be. Otherwise we could have a 100 people inspect it with a 100 different ideas as to safety.
Hence, codes and standards are a yardstick of measurement for safety.

Well said, and worth repeating.

The Pictured installation was completed in the latter part of 2005.

SEC, Meter Pan and Panel are all new.

All were Permitted, Inspected and Approved by Electrical Underwriter evidenced by the Inspection Stickers affixed to the Main Panel.

What aspects of this Install could be Code Compliant?

Joe Haggerty has this one correct and dead to rights.

IRC 2003 electrical provisions under which this service was installed in Pennsylvania required that:

-E3504.2.2 the “minimum service drop clearance above grade shall be 10 feet (3048mm) at the electrical service entrance to buildings, at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electric entrance…”

-E3504.1 states that open conductors shall have a minimum clearance of " not less than 3 feet (914mm) from the sides of …windows that open."

Unless the window in Joe’s photos does not open and unless the drip loop is greater than 10 feet above grade…this is an electrical code violation under the 2002 NEC and 2003 IRC electrical provisions.

But the Building Code Official is the “authority having jurisdication” and may have good reason (although I cannot see any from Joe’s pictures and comments) for granting the connection…and under Pennsylvania Law, the AHJ has final legal authority…

I agree that we are not code inspectors, and I do not mention code in my reports, but I sure do benefit from the code references I read on this BB.

Ditto, thats all I ment…