Service Drop Roof/Window Clearance

Would like to know what are your thoughts on this. I know US and Canada could be different but here in Canada the service drop should be 24" above the roof covering and 36" away from a window. Would you consider this a major defect or give recommendations for improvement?

What is the actual measured distance, and is the window openable?
Drop is a non-issue IMO.

NEC 2002 Code which I do not believe has changed since (I know don’t cite code, but for information purposes here it is.) I’ll leave narrative suggestions to others.

2002 National Electrical Code (NEC) 230.9 (A) (Page 70-77) Clearance
from windows. Service conductors installed as open conductors or
multiconductor cable without an overall outer jacket
shall have
a clearance of 3’ from windows that are designed to open, doors,
porches, balconies, ladders, stairs, fire escapes, or similar locations.

All windows on the second floor were for some reason not operable during the inspection. The window shown in the picture is a casement window so it could be an operating window. I’m not worried about the roof clearance, I just think that the drop could of been installed on the upper roof but then comes the question of the clearance needed from the top of the chimney. I guess all that I’m worried about is reporting it as a defect and someone else coming along with a different opinion.

1 Like

The window clearance is my concern and I personally would report on that.

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter the reason why, they were not openable which eliminates the distance requirement.
That being said, I would include an informational narrative in my report regarding the potential issue, warning that if the window ever becomes serviceable that it needs to be a minimum of 36 inches from the service drop conductors.
What did you estimate the distance to be? If you didn’t approximate a measurement, then you can’t really honestly say anything at all.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback it is very appreciated. I believe in Canada they are still required to be 36" away from windows, operable or not. I ended expressing my concerns to the client and informed them that It may be problematic in the future and a safety hazard, especially if the window is operated.

What is the issue with the triplex and the top of the chimney? It doesn’t even look to be close to the top of the chimney.

There are no issues with the top of the chimney. I was saying if they were to install the service drop higher up for window clearance, but even then, you are right It wouldn’t be an issue.