Service Drop

This service drop neutral wire got buried under some bricks during a reno. Don’t look right to me…

Doesn’t look too good but I don’t see a really big problem with it.

Thanks Robert! I appreciate your quick response as I am doing the report presently.

The installation should be referred to the utility. Not sure the age of the structure but in my opinion the mast should have been extended above the roof line when the exterior was modified.

Regardless of meeting the clearance required by the code?

Jim. happy to see you here.
Much to be called out IMO.
As well, it is faux masonry veneer.

Well I don’t care for it.

1. The neutral conductor will carry current…(how much, depends on the loads and so on) but it appears it may be in contact with combustible material (plywood) and who knows what else under that corner piece so it is just not right…I would call it out and they can deal with it. Just looks like poor workmanship to me (yes, I know unenforcible but alas…they are HI’s and safety is their GIG)

2. Man…obviously I do not have the facts on the calculation but WOW that grounded/neutral conductor sure looks undersized. I will assume it’s 4/0 AL and thats a 2 AL…based on 250.102©(1) and move on…:wink:

First off it does not meet code as it is in contact with the structure. Referring to the utility will get a determination on how it can be resolved. They may modify their drop to meet requirements for their area if the structure is older. OR, they may say to have the mast extended. As inspectors, we document what we see. Not our place to tell the client how to repair it. Leave that to the appropriate trade.

What code would prohibit this? Around here the drop is secured with an unisulated galvanized eye-bolt.

My point was there may be no issue and your report will cost someone money to refute it. Risers typically are in contact with the structure. What code prevent the contact? The OP did not post anything regarding the current height being deficient.

Good point, metal raceways with metal straps and meter enclosures are screwed directly to the structure.

That’s exactly how I would want the service drop installed on my house. :roll:

Care to expand on this? What issues do you see? Or is it simply the neutral under the veneer?

There were no issues with the service before the renovations. The attachment to the house should of been moved. I see exposed wood, spray foam, gaps in the veneer all because they didn’t want to move the service. If this was your house, would you be OK with this?

I was only looking at it from an electrical perspective.

Me too. Is it ugly yes, would I want this on my own house, no way, is it unsafe not really.

If nothing else, my concern would be what happens in a good windstorm and the point of attachment moves?