sevice wire sizes

Originally Posted By: bsarles
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Help Please–I inspected a huge house and it had 3 panels,one i new was 100 amp sevice but the other two panels had 3 main lugs and 1 lug for the white nuetral. I was able to read the wire size which said 3/0 awg and was copper on those two panels. What would the amps be and the volts?

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Benjamin,

The resident sparkies will be able to give you a more detaild answer than me.

3/0 copper is rated for 200 amps. If the panels have 4 feeder cables as you decribed, they would be equipment (sub) panels. Not service entrance (main) panels. What was the breaker configuration in these panels?

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsarles

Im not sure what u mean by configuration. The panels in ? had 150 amp breakers but according to my HI electrical bookand it only goes to 2/0 awg in copper and it reads that would be 200 amp.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Do you have any pictures you can post?

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Benjamin I would gladly help you out but I just can not picture what you are describing.

Do you have one service panel with two sub panels or did you have three service panels?

Pictures of the open panels would help.

2/0 copper can be used for a 200 amp service but it can also be used on a 100 amp service.

The standard answer would be that the service size is rated the same as the lowest rated piece of equipment between the Service panel and the utility.

Example;

One set of 200 amp conductors feed a 200 amp meter socket, from there one set of 200 amp conductors feed a 200 amp panel with 150 main breaker.

That would be a 150 amp service.

But you could have a service like this;

Two sets of 200 amp conductors feeding a 400 amp meter socket, from there two sets of 200 amp conductors each feeding 200 amp service panels.

In that example you would have two 200 amp service panels for a total service size of 400 amps.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: roconnor

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/W/WireSizing-CodeCheck.jpg ]

Be very careful if you do not fully understand the installation, and possibly recommend further evaluation by a professional if the installation is beyond your experience ...... In the meantime perhaps you could post some pics and descriptions of the installation that can be kicked around to help you understand better ... ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Look here as well for more accurate references taken from the 2002 NEC

![](upload://nJpMPFr6u8Slp4gKNAazxHmDctZ.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

jtedesco wrote:
Look here as well for more accurate references taken from the 2002 NEC

Joe ... are there inaccuraces with the CodeCheck table I am not aware of, as I have always found that table to be very handy.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Robert:

I should have said "official code text", I did not want to criticize the information you posted. The actual text and table provides additional valuable information.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Okay Joe. I just find that table I referenced very handy, and it also has the Branch Circuit and Service Conductor sizes for typical residential wiring side by side to make the differences crystal clear. Plus it’s from the CodeCheck series, which I think is the most widely used code reference for home inspectors … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I just climbed up on the roof and checked my triplex drop. It is #2 for a 200a service. The SE is 4/0 al

It does look pretty silly having a drop the size of a pencil crimped to a wire the size of your little finger.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Greg Fretwell wrote:
I just climbed up on the roof and checked my triplex drop.

I hope you had your PPE and fall protection systems in place. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Hard hat, climbing belt, net, rubber gloves, work boots and safety glasses.

icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

I was at a service center the other day , and noticed that there service drop was probably #2 triplex, but it was feeding an 800 amp (WAG) service. It looked like parellel 500 MCM.

Looking at it would make you think the utility was nut's, but like I mentioned they have thier own way of determining loads.

I will take a picture of it in the next couple of day's and post it.

It is a prime example of the diference between " free air" conductors, and
SE.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005