Shingle age and style

Does anyone have an idea of the type and age of this shingle? Do they possibly contain asbestos?

T-lock interlocking shingles. Although they’re not installed anymore, many homes were roofed with T-locks which are still in place. T-lock shingles have no adhesive strip, so they rely on the interlocking profile and fasteners to hold them in place. The manufacture of T-locks ended about 2006. It may be harder to get proper home insurance coverage if your home has the T-lock shingle. The insurance company cannot simply replace a handful of shingles if a small portion of your roof is damaged. Some reputable insurance companies will not insure these homes and if they do, generally, it is with a higher deductible or actual cash value

don’t believe they’re t-lock…art-loc is how they’re branded
they’re still made still installed

5 Likes

…so, no asbestos. :smile:

Barry , thanks you are correct Almost made it to the end of the year without a mistake. Thanks for setting me straight. John

4 Likes

Zero health issue if they were ACM.
Disposal may become an issue if so.

Cheers

What is ACM?

plug it into the search of this forum and see what pops up

I’ll save the effort : Asbestos Containing Materials

Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the simple sharing of information

John, you’re all good here
i just didn’t want the op getting thrown under the bus by anyone involved for misidentification

1 Like

Thanks Barry

John V Olson****

'Home Inspect Pros’

920-639-7260

Heck, If it twern’t fer mistakes we’d all be out of a job.

1 Like

There are called French style shingle. The bottom edge is stapled to the bottom row with a copper staple. Haven’t seen them used in 20 years in the midwest

You’re The best!

You must not be married, John… LOL! LOL! :joy:

2 Likes

Craig, must be a local or rea thing
never heard of them & google search images appear arch. style at best
do you have any supporting mfr literature esp. the install method you describe

There actually was two type of French shingles. One that was similar to a 3 tab but shaped like the diamond cut and the one that was a diamond shape .They were approximately 21 inches wide and 18 high. Cant remember mfg. name. I put them on in the 70 and early 80’s. The t-loks were more popular since you didn’t need the gun to staple them. French shingles were not a double coverage like the shingles today. The angle allow the water to follow it down to the next shingle . They were meant to go over a existing layer .Life expectancy was like at best 20 years. Best I can do for info .Hope it helps

thanks Craig
i’m sticking w/post 3

In a report, you’d want to call them “interlocking” shingles, since they’re not really T-locks (not T shaped)… and yep, Art-Loc is the brand.