Shingle repair or not?

Did a 11th month warranty inspection today and noticed these little what appears and feel like rubber sealant.
The strange part is that they were only on the second course at different slopes of the home.

My gut is saying they were damaged and the installer noticed the damage and sealed them from underneath the shingle, still wondering how they were limited to just the 2nd course.

I have not seen this type of repair before. Anyone see this before?

Looks like roof jacks attachments. Supposed to be under the shingles

13 Likes

That is where the roofer placed his roofing brackets. Instead of putting them under the shingles like he should have done, he fastened them on top of the shingles and filled the holes with roofing sealant. I have seen chimney masons do this also.

6 Likes

Well that makes sense, Didn’t think about that possibility. Thank you guy’s

1 Like

The proper way to repair after removing the roof brackets is to slide a piece of rubber flashing under the shingle over the hole and a dab of roof sealant. The sealant will then push up through the hole, like seen in your pic.

4 Likes

Yep, roofers still do this though there is a better way.

4 Likes

There is soooo much wrong in that picture!

4 Likes

It amazes my actually. As a roofer, the last thing you would ever want to do is drive something into your roof! It is like a ship builder poking a hole in the side of his ship.

4 Likes

I might have figured it out if it was uniform up the slope, but only noticed the repairs on only the second course. That’s what had me puzzled
Roof jack

2 Likes

It is where they get off and on the ladder or offload the shingles as they come up the ladder hoist.

1 Like

Not many use that in my area, most of the time they pack mule them up.

3 Likes

I used to use a piece of step flashing, was much thinner

2 Likes

That is where they may have stored their roofing materials, and they used roofing shoes to shingle the roof with no roof brackets.
images (17)
Home Inspectors should use roofing shoes when inspecting roofs

3 Likes

These are my favorites.

3 Likes

Those not accustomed to wearing something like that on their boots should avoid it in my opinion. It becomes a trip hazard as they are not familiar with having an extra 1.5" hanging off the bottom of their usual footwear. And for a home inspection, if the roof is not safe to traverse in normal footwear, you do not belong on it. Grab the drone or camera pole.

2 Likes

Practice makes perfect. The grip is amazing and you will not cause mechanical damage.

But to your point, the grip is a bit startling at first and you do have to adjust. The thickness did not effect me though. Someone did warn me just as you the first time I put a pair on. Good advice.

1 Like

I use these. Lol
golf shoes

3 Likes

I would recommend inspectors practice at home, much less embarrassing, lol. The main thing is adjusting to getting on and off the ladder with them. We tend to get a mental memory of where the bottom of our foot is and it will trip you up if it changes. Kinda like a big difference in step heights does on a poorly built set of deck stairs.

1 Like

That’s it. You are the one that put the holes in the roof, You Dog. LOL

2 Likes

I better check my shoes, i maybe missing some spikes

2 Likes