Shingle type on a 100+ year old Victorian

I’m hoping someone can help identify this type of shingle. It’s brittle, looks as though there is some type of granule on it and it’s nailed to the surface. I couldn’t get an accurate measurement on them as these were taken with an extendable pole 30ft up. Thanks

Cant say for sure - but looks like it could be an asbestos type shingle

3 Likes

Fiber-cement (or asbetos-cement) tiles.

5 Likes

It looks like a fiber-cement tile, because there’s no creasing near where tiles near the eave have been wind-broken, as would be the case if it were asphalt shingles. If it’s fiber-cement, it appears to be of an age in which it probably contains some percentage of asbestos, meaning it’ll probably be expensive to dispose of.

Especially on the hip caps, it looks lighter in areas. With asphalt shingles, lighter areas are where granules have eroded away and the fiberglass mat is showing, indicating loss of volatile compounds, weathering and age. Whatever the protective coating here, it appear to be wearing away and is a sign of deterioration. What effect that is having on the affected portions of the roof isn’t obvious. With asphalt shingles, one result is curling/distortion (that accompanies granule loss, not causes it).
The hip caps show gaps at the butts, and that could be distortion or installation. You’d need to get up close to find out.

Portions of it also show significant amounts of moss and lichen caused by long-term exposure to moisture, but since that condition isn’t uniform across the roof I’m assuming that those portions of the roof are shaded instead of the entire roof becoming more absorbent, which is one way in which tile ages.

1 Like

I’m going to say; “It looks like a fiber-cement tile.” :thinking: …Like those guys^^^^^^^said. :wink:

Thanks guys.

Yup, fiber cement potentially with asbestos.

G