Shingle Uplift Help

Hello,

I have a quick question about shingle uplift. First of all, i am not a licenses home inspector, i am an underwriting insurance inspector. I am in the process of completing my NACHI training and going to take the exam to become a home inspector so all the help i have gotten from NACHI is great.

My question is what casues shingle uplift, i did a 4-point insurance inspection on this dwelling down in Florida, The customer stated that the shingle uplift in the picture below was no issue, as his home inspector when he bought the dwelling stated that this is normal and there was no moister getting into the roof decking material.

What causes this??

The customer had spray form insulation under the decking about 3/4" thick would this be cause from that or would this be caused from poor valley flashing.

The insured also stated that the granule loss of the roof is normal. The roof is about 14 years old Architectural shingle roof the granules on the bottom of the ground were very heavy is some areas.

I thank everyone for there input and i am still learning new things everyday.

Its hard to tell however from my past roofing experience i can say that sometimes the valley flashing does not lay down flush with the sheathing. As far as the granule loss without seeing how much loss there is i can say that you would expect to see a larger amount below the valley because of the larger amount of water flow.

I tend not to “speculate” as to the cause of an issue.
I either know what causes something or I don’t.
However, it is clear from your photo that there are issues with
the shingles/installation. A normal shingle roof in good condition
does not exhibit that kind of uplift. Defer to roofer.

It depends on how old it is.
At times a new roof will take many month to lay down.

I would guess it was the valley metal…since they missed the center of the valley by about an inch and a half.

Any permits for this roof?

Re roofed in Dec 2002 according to the permitting department

As I am doing more and more research and reading the post from this it seems like this was a construction error. Either it wasn’t flashed right or the roofer didn’t do a quality job. According to the permit looks like he just installed 45sq shingles and there was no info about the decking.

45 sq? How big was this place?

For a four-point, I probably wouldn’t note anything or possibly, shingles were partially detached from the decking at such and such an area, and let the underwriter figure it out.

For a home inspection, if I were on site I might peek a little farther to see what is actually happening. From that limited picture, I really can’t tell much, but the fact that they couldn’t even line up the valley with the flashing might have me suspicious about the rest of the work.

Checked this again 45sq according to the permit total building square footage is 2380 this was done by a local roofing contractor that operated a home repair business. Contractor went out of business.

No surprise there! :roll:

Just curious why you would think the valley cut is a sign of poor workmanship. They are supposed to be offset a few inches.

Can’t really comment on the up-heaving. They may just be installed too tight and haven’t laid down yet.

Maybe where you are from they are offset, but I have never seen it here…or anywhere else for that matter. Also, the valley metal usually sticks out a few inches as well.

As for not laying down yet, its been 12 years…how much longer should we wait? :roll:

This is what I see, typically, in closed valleys, too, Brad: :slight_smile:

And page #113 here (Although, open valleys are recommended in certain instances):

It is hard to say, from here, what the buckling is about but installing too tight is a possibility.

This is how we used to do it, mostly the “weaved” valley:

[quote=“evandeven, post:14, topic:87293”]

This is how we used to do it, mostly the “weaved” valley:

[/QUOTE]

From the video:

“The woven valley is the weakest valley and should only be used with 3 tab shingles”. And, “should not be used with GAF Elk laminated shingles, because of their thickness.”

But, we did the woven on 3 tab shingles, too, if the roof planes were within a couple of inches of pitch from each other. :)

Most of the roofs we did were the older type shingles and didn’t have crazy roof lines where nothing lines up. :wink: The other type was the open valley with the exposed metal. Speaking of which, I would probably guess that the installer nailed the metal, or whatever underlayment was used in the valley, and that is what caused the buckling in the original post.

I agree mostly the valleys I do inspection on down in Florida for shingle roofs are closed cut valleys

Read the last paragraph.

What a mess. Obviously failure to fully bond. I can’t tell from this one photo what the other problems are.

Yea I wrote it up as shingle uplift and presented to the insurance company. We’re on the underwriting side so they don’t require us to walk the roof. It looks likes the roof wasn’t either installed or flashed correct. I wish I had a better photo for you guys.