Roofing condition?

This is for education purposes.

The first picture is a distance picture of a roof and the second picture is the up close of the same portion of the roof.

I was wondering what people would say about this roof in their report? Would you say that there is no signs of active leaks (assuming their isn’t any on the roof) and the roof is nearing the end of its life. Or is the fiberglass exposed not that big of a deal? I have always been told once you start seeing fiberglass exposure that the roof will start to deteriorate faster and it will soon need replacing. I was just wondering what people say about these roofs. I see a lot of them around here and it is always much easier to make the call on a roof that is failed or is very deteriorated or is in great condition these inbetweens are always difficult and I don’t want to make the wrong judgment call.

Also on a side note what do you guys says about hail damage? Something like this: Hail damage was present on the roof covering at the time of inspections. Contact your insurance carrier prior to purchasing the house to make sure you can obtain insurance on the roof. Assuming that once again there is no active leaks and the roof has not deteriorated into an unservicable condition.

Thanks as always.

Granule loss at the edges.

Wild *** guess. 10-15 years old but that depends largely on local conditions and weather.

Yes that is about what I would put the age at also. But I don’t even comment on the age I was just wondering if these are in need of replacement before too long and would you comment on that?

From the pic they look fine…I’d say 5-8 yo.
Composition shingles =10 years left here in Fla.

I don’t comment on age either.

That would be silly :wink:

I report what I what I see, suggest the buyer check with the seller for the roof history and remind my client that I am a terrible weather forecaster and tell them they may want to consider getting a quote for replacing the roof so they know what to expect in the future.

BTW- I see some absolutely terrible looking roofs go for many years without leaking.

Why would you not want to know age? they will help determine expected remaining life. And from what I see I see in these answers no one knows the age. One said 5-8 and the other said 10-15. That is a big disparity.

In Florida if it an older home we have to give the roof 3-5 years of remiaing life in order for them to qualify for insruance. Without doing research I would never guess as to how old

The roofing is worn and showing signs of weathering, aging, cracks and deterioration. These conditions lend themselves to moisture intrusion. We recommend having a competent roofing contractor review the roofing system, its accessories and conditions; and then service, repair, or perform any needed maintenance to keep the roof water tight. We also recommend that you verify the insurability and acceptability of the roofing with your insurance company prior to closing.

This type of roofing material in our area typically has a 16 - 22 year life span under normal conditions. In our opinion the roof looks like its in the last third of its safe economic life. Regular maintenance and inspection is advised to achieve continued service.

In accordance with industry standards for inspections, a visual inspection service does not include a guarantee against leaks. For such a guarantee, you would need to have a roofing company perform a water test and issue a roof certification. The sellers or the occupants will generally have the most intimate knowledge of the roof. We recommend asking them about its history and then schedule regular maintenance, service and inspection by a competent roofing contractor.

Who said they didn’t want to know?

Disclosure forms here mandate the roof age either be stated as less than 8 years old or more than 8 years old.

Only 2 years of remaining life required here.

I like this thanks Dan

I like it too except I wouldn’t say water tight, roofs shed water, they are not submarines and they are not water tight…

And that’s assuming everyone is 100% honest and truthful on “disclosure” forms. Right? Hah.

Minor granule loss due to erosion by flowing water. The indicated cause is poor quality asphalt. Shingles appeared to be adequately protecting the roof at the time of the inspection.
Hail damage? In what concentration, and cosmetic or functional damage? If you’re going to comment on hail damage, those are the questions you’ll be asked in court if anyone tries to make a big deal out of it.