Should I Buy An Extended Warranty?

I agree with Nathan, as long as the extended warranty is for at least 5 years and is cheap enough, they are probably a good idea. I bought my 50" plasma 7 years ago and just had the capacitor in it go, again for the second time. The capacitors in them get worn out just like in anything else. About $130 a pop to get a new one installed. Even more if a Y or X board goes in them.

Civil Discussion??? THIS forum??? :shock::shock::shock:

I think most extended warranties are crap. I do however always get the 3 year geek squad warranties on my laptops. My laptop breaks. I take it in. They fix it. I get a new laptop in 4 years. I love the geek squad warranties but that is it.

What about the “Costco” factor… where the factory warranty is extended. I’ve only a handful of experiences with their service, but most good and covered by membership.

I have gotten a few extended warranties, usually on appliances. The great thing about living in the sticks is when they find out you are 100 miles from the nearest service dealer they almost always send you a new updated item. Rarely do they make you ship the old one back. Because we are rather self sufficient around here I just repair the old one myself and then I have two. This has happened with a hoover vac, a oster blender, and an element 32" lcd flat screen.