Insane!!! Free Home Warranties for all InterNACHI-only members and all their clients.

Coming the first part of 2009.

Until then you can buy them at http://www.mountainwarranty.com/

Nick
I am going to assume this is only available in the U.S.

Mountain Warranty is available to inspectors in the U.S., Canada, and the islands.

Thanks Nick!

This basically changes the inspection industry forever. Not only will our guys (and gals) enjoy less liability, but they can advertise that their inspections are coverd by a Home Warranty.

Wow!

Nick, do we have to sign up or anything?

If you want to start offering them now you can but you have to buy them at $17 apiece at www.mountainwarranty.com

I’d raise your prices $25.

When someone calls for an inspection, explain that you charge a little more than all your competitors and that the potential client should pay a little more and have you do the inspection, and that you are so confident in your skills that you offer a home warranty.

1. You’ll get way more work
  2. You’ll reduce your liability
  3. You’ll add value to your inspection service
  4. And you can keep the extra $8

When it goes to free in 2009 you keep the entire $25.

We are also negotiating E&O discounts for those offering the warranty.

Like I said, this changes the entire inspection industry.

Are “their inspections” actually covered by this warranty, Nick? That is not how I read the warranty.

Be very careful, here. Hyperbole has its place…but not in this area.

What? Are you confused? This has what to do with this thread?

Jim writes:

Yes.

Furthermore, we know for a fact that inspector lawsuits are averted regardless of whether the warranty covers the claim (pays the consumer for it) or not (explains to the consumer why it is denied).

Warranties give the consumer some place to be heard.

…and, as demonstrated by some television news media, when a non-inspection related issue is not covered by the warranty company…the consumer and his investigative reporter expect the inspector to make good on his “warrantied inspection”.

The truth, Nick…truth, okay?..is that the warranty does NOT cover the inspection, but covers certain systems in the home for a limited period of time that had no evidence of prior problems.

Your warranty…when sold to the client with the same level of hyperbole and nonsensical espectations as you have done here…is an invitation to a lawsuit.

Jim writes:

Nope. Consumers are less likely to sue when there is a warranty, even when the claim is denied. It is the explanation of claim denial that thwarts almost as many suits as claim honoring.

The inspector’s liability for “non-inspection related issues” is still zero with or without the warranty.

That is not to say that a client won’t sue for a “non-inspection related issue,” but the having a third-party warranty company either pay for it or explain why the claim is denied is far better than having the inspector pay an attorney to explain it in court.

Do warranties stop all suits? No. But warranties stop most of them.

No it doesn’t. They get inspectors in trouble. Unless of course you wish to disclose all the warranty exclusions up front.

No covered appliance past 10 years old?

No covered item with rust or corrosion?

No covered central air past 15 years old?

No pre-existing conditions?

No coverage on any item listed as needing service or further review and or monitoring?

Is Guardian similar to Brinks?

Thanks, but no thanks!

Here’s an example of a policy that almost every buyer receives at closing, normally paid for by the seller…

https://www.ahswarranty.com/homeowners/homewarranty101/homewarranty101.html#5

Will, I’m very aware of AHS and I’ve never heard of them giving InterNACHI’s clients free (or even $17) warranties. My impression is that they cost about $400 and include stuff all over their site that is not inspector-friendly such as “No home inspection is required as a condition to purchase,” have service fees galore such as “The trade service call fee applies to the initial visit by a technician for each covered trade. Additional charges may apply to some repairs and replacements,” don’t cover anything in your list you posted “must be in good working condition on the effective date of contract; Improper maintenance of any covered system or appliance may result in denial of coverage for lack of maintenance”, and don’t cover things like Central AC at all!!!

Will complains about Mountain Warranty for $17 saying quote:

But when I got a price quote using his link to AHS I found that for $356 my central AC isn’t covered at all!

Anyway, if I want central AC coverage I have to buy (on top of the $356) an additional plan for $144!.. uh… that’s $500.00!!! not $17.

This from the AHS link you posted Will:

**Essential Plan **

[LIST]

• Heating

• Ductwork

• Plumbing

• Garbage Disposals

• Plumbing Stoppages

• Electrical System

• Ceiling Fans

• Built-in Microwaves

• Water Heater

• Ranges, Ovens, Cooktops

• Dishwashers

[/LIST]Pricing
$356

Step 1: Customize Your Home Warranty by Adding to Your Essential Plan

Enhanced Plan

Adding this package covers the following service conditions

• Central A/C, Refrigerator, Washer/Dryer, Garage Door Opener

Pricing
$144

Step 2: Customize Your Home Warranty with Additional Options

Additional Coverages

Pricing

Additional Spa (Only Available w/Purchase of Pool or Spa) $160
Pool Only $160
Spa Only $160
Pool/Inground Spa Shared Equipment $160
Well Pump $80

In California, almost every buyer is provided a home warranty free of charge to them at close of escrow. These would be one of the real home warranty programs recognized real estate industry wide and provide 12 months of coverage and protection to the client. I don’t pay $17 or 17 cents. It’s provided by the seller. It’s the best possible scenario as the home inspector is completely out of the loop and has no downside liability what so ever.

These programs also don’t have appliance and or system age limits, cover pre-existing conditions in many cases and are broader in scope of coverage.

If I’m the buyer, why would I be interested in a 100 day policy from my home inspector that in most cases will actually cover “NOTHING”, when I’m already receiving a 12 month “REAL” home warranty plan for “FREE”?

If the subject property has central air, pool, spa, well, whatever, the seller provides the appropriate policy to the buyer to cover same.

Great. Most inspectors don’t live in an area like California where the seller buys every homebuyer a warranty. Great news. And they do it all without even covering central AC systems. Simply amazing. :wink: