Should this be protected??

Romex is run between exterior flood lights. To protect from damage does it need to be run through conduit and is there a code reference?

Thanks, Lou

107135-0001.JPG

107135-0002.JPG

Romex wiring is only suitable for use in dry, protected areas (ie: inside stud walls, on the sides of joists etc.), that are not subject to mechanical damage or excessive heat.

Find out if local code permits the use of Type UF cable, or if it specifies Type TW wire and conduit. Generally, local codes require that outdoor wiring be protected by conduit in an instance in which outdoor wiring is installed above ground. Personally, I would write this up as unprotected wiring.

Careful, romex is a brand name and they make UF.

tom

I’d be hard pressed to say that’s subject to physical damage, unless there’s a local rule that clears it up. It’s ugly, at least, but probably legal if that’s UF cable. Some UF cable does have a white outer jacket. Not all UF cable is marked “sunlight resistant”, which is a pretty big deal for that installation in the photos. The physical damage thing is not a concern for mine, but verification that 1) that is UF cable, and 2) that it’s the sunlight resistant variety, is what I’d be concerned with.

Marc
what about parts of Alaska where it is nightime for most of the year??? :shock: :mrgreen:

Sorry, only kidding.