Shower Pan In Contact with Wood

Can the wood from these 2x’s for the bench and frame be in contact with the first layer of this concrete shower pan. They are putting a fiberglass molding over this

Yes the first layer of mortar is only establishing grade. There will most likely be a layer of vinyl pan material over the mortar bed. On top of that should be another layer of mortar.

Construction methods vary. I’m not sure what you are talking about with the fiberglass.

2 Likes

I have never seen it done that way, The mortar bed should be in a pan of some type and the pan should be 2’’ higher than the mortar bed, then the side panels go over the pan sides.
images

3 Likes

its fine, its just the pre-slope.

1 Like

Ok, That’s what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Thanks

That’s because the good plumbers always pour a layer of mortar before the pan material. This establishes grade otherwise the pan will have standing water in it if the tile seal is penetrated. A flat pan is a really crappy way to build a shower.

2 Likes

That is not how I would do it. I would use ready to tile seats and shelves. Well, maybe that is how they do it in the south. I have built my share of tiled showers. I just finished this one, not that I have to prove myself.
IMG_0677
I have never had one leak or hold water in the pan.
images (17)

2 Likes

Scott how would you know that there’s no water sitting in a pan since you can’t see it? Once the water penetrates a failed tile grout joint, and it eventually will, the water makes its way through the mortar and sits on a level pan of whatever material. Defects take a long long time to show up.

1 Like

tx monolithic slabs w/pans are generally poured as a 2x recess depending on step down, flush to floor or ada access
then some sort of pan liner, mortar bed & tile is added afterward

who blew the windows

2 Likes

4 Likes

That’s the right way to do it William thanks for the photo. If the pan is installed flat the weep hole drain will be about 1/4” higher than the pan meaning there may be 1/4” of water on top of the pan before it drains. Common sense says grade a pan to the drain. It’s takes twice the time to construct but worth the effort.This is a great illustration for the OP doing new construction inspections.

Always best to learn the right way to do things. The guys that should be installing this fixture should be licensed in their craft not YouTube plumbers.

2 Likes