Shower stall drain

Originally Posted By: jlybolt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/2/_057.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Shower pan will not completely drain. Drain pipe appears to be incorrectly installed. Recommend repair by quallified plumbing contractor.

Stu

Originally Posted By: mboyett

James,

I attended the November TREC Inspectors Committee meeting earlier this week and set in on one of the sub-committee meetings on Enforcement. They were reviewing complaints and lawsuits that had been filed recently in Texas against HI’s. One of the lawsuits, and a successful one I think, was against an inspector that had failed to note the shower stall did not completely drain the bottom and it left just a little bit of water standing, maybe 1/4 cup or less. The HI had apparently lost the case in court and was liable for the cost to completely rebuild the shower stall. Now that sure seems extreme to me and it did to the sub-committee as well but that’s the truth. I agree with Stu, call it out.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Not that I am explaining how this repair should be done as this is just a guess but…if the pvc were trimmed slightly and a smaller drain cover plate were installed would that fix it? I was looking at one exactly like this today and the cover plate was so much smaller.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

usualy i see a drain assembly that has a resessed “cup” that is inserted threw the pan and the drain pipe is attache to it below, (called the “tub shoe”), i call out anything els. my question now is, what about the stainless steel type hair catch that sits a little higher and is “dome” shaped? should we call those out too.? a little water can remain around the edge of those too. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

Micheal I think I will attend the next meeting. Do you always go?

Thanks everyone for the help

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Yes, I try to attend all of the meetings, keep notes and send them to anyone interested. Let me know if you’d like a copy of this month’s minutes. Send me an e-mail or PM.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com