Showing walk-through?

We all know the market is challenging right now and many buyers are waiving home inspections. I’ve been getting several calls lately from buyers who want to pay me an hourly rate to accompany them to a showing and just give them my impressions of the house. I know there are inspectors locally who do this but I have many questions. Has anyone done something like this? I know that if I do it I would still need to have them sign some sort of a “hold harmless” agreement explicitly stating that this is NOT a home inspection. Has InterNACHI created such an agreement? I appreciate anyone who can share their experience with this sort of thing. Benefits, pitfalls, etc. Thanks!

1 Like

Jim, there has been a number of threads posted on this topic. Here is one that was posted in 2018 before the market got all crazy like it is now. Maybe it will help seeing opinions from 3 years ago and how they may have changed since then.
https://forum.nachi.org/t/property-walk-through-with-client-not-official-inspection/122701

3 Likes

I would like to add another post from this year. I think it is a important topic with many upsides and downsides.

2 Likes

These days I get that a lot in MD and VA but I make them sign Agreement it only walk through not inspection and no written report.

1 Like

Cash and carry. Hands stay in pockets.

3 Likes

Those of you who use agreements for this service, do you include the property address(es) or simply write it up as an hourly consulting type situation?

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

If you’re a home inspector offering a professional opinion of the condition of a property, you are performing a home inspection no matter what you want to call it or how you convey your opinion to your clients.

In Indiana a licensed home inspector is required to provide a home inspection report detailing the defects found in the home inspection.

1 Like

In Georgia, Uncle Joe can do an inspection with no prior knowledge of anything. I have actually seen hand written signs on the side of roads advertising for “home inspections”.

That being said, I do believe you can distinguish between the two.

3 Likes

Licensed states, inspectors should review their local legislation.

Unlicensed states, you can do whatever you want but just don’t call it a home inspection and don’t provide anything in writing, pictures or a report (for insurance reasons). If the client calls months later and says you missed something, deny you were even at the property. :+1:

6 Likes

I still have to get used to the fact that over 1/3 of states do not yet require licensing or have very little oversight. Is GA working to change this? Or is Uncle Joe also your state rep?

Ok, quick edit: Georgia Code Title 8 Any person violating any of the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. That’s hilarious, a misdemeanor for fraudulent misrepresentation?

1 Like

Nothing going on to rectify this and there are a lot “Uncle Joes and Aunt Marjories” that aren’t doing anything for the state.

2 Likes

That deserves a double thumbs up. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I hope not. In the end it is another governmental hoop to jump thru and pay for. And after all that, the consumer may still get a terrible inspector.

3 Likes

The rest of the post were haranguing you.
I will not do that.
It all depend on your states requirement of a home inspection.
In Florida an inspector has to provide a comprehensive home inspection on all fee paid inspection.
However, I’m a state licensed residential contractor in Florida.
With that being said, I can do a property evaluation on that property , without submitting a written inspection report.
We down here call them walk about.

It’s called “just helping a friend.” (And then your friend gave you $200 for a piece of gum).
:joy: :+1:

2 Likes

" Haranguing you" …really Roy?

“lecture (someone) at length in an aggressive and critical manner.”

“GET OFF MY LAWN!!!” may be considered “haranguing”… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I call it soak them for what ever I can get. Yep!
And I do, and they love it.
Charge more inspect less.
Just tell me I’m incorrect!

1 Like

Thomas … You know my reply! Uh Yuh!

1 Like

You are a guppy!
I change all my so call friends double.,

You have friends?
However, Don’t let the friend thing fool you .
Friends are way over highly rated.

Worse than terrible!!
Lookit all the yahoo’s out there with a drivers license!
Nuff’ said!!

2 Likes