Side Load Breaker

Hello All,

Hoping if someone can tell me if this is a permanent attachment clip or secure screw equivalent for this main breaker.

1 Like

I had a similar one a while back. I do believe it is a hold down clip.

2 Likes

Thank you Ryan.

I knew I had all the lingo wrong and barely wanted to push send.

Hold down clip on a back-fed breaker. Got to keep that in my head.

2 Likes

Not back feed?

100 AMP disconnenct.

CU and AL strand main breaker cables.

AL, ALACN 0 2 awg COMPACT STABILY - XHHW-2 RATED (90 Ampacity)

Curious. What does any of that have to do with the OP’s question?

7 Likes

Assuming that this is a service #2 AWG aluminum can be used for a 100 amp service.

1 Like

Morning, Robert.
From the chart I use, #2 is rated at 90A Ampacity 75°C and 100A at 90°C. 90°C is running hot. 194°F.
0 on the other hand would be 100°A Ampacity at 60°C.
Am I mistaken here?
Here is the AL cable markings. The hue of metal caught my eye. Below CU. As well looks thicker.
al cable

As well there is one (1) phase CU cable, and the other phase (2) AL, on the same 100A OCPD/Breaker tied together. Would the AWG phases, 2 incoming legs of power, imbalance the means to trip the breaker?

That is correct for a branch circuit or feeder but in my response I mentioned a service. Service conductors are allowed to be sized at 83% of the rating of the OCPD. So in this case the 100 amp service disconnect only requires conductors rated at 83 amps (100*83%). Therefore the 90 amp #2 aluminum conductors are code compliant for a 100 amp service.

3 Likes

The 83% rule. Yes, I thought that be be used. Temperature is also at play.

My point, or one of them, an overloaded electrical circuit is the most common reason for a circuit breaker tripping. It occurs when a circuit is attempting to draw a greater electrical load than it is intended to carry. The internal sensing mechanism in the circuit breaker heats up, and the breaker trips usually by means of a spring-loaded component within the breaker.

Have to run but I will be back.