"Significantly Deficient"

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

as well as the property being inspected !? icon_confused.gif

In light of "appears serviceable" any comments Joe?

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russ,

Since you did not specify which Joe, I happen to like the term significantly deficient. I happened to have worked with a few inspectors that liked the term significant deficiency which I happen to like better. I have to admit I use both terms sparingly.

To answer the question if this can be a multipurpose term refering to both inspector and property. Yes, I would say so. Some more than others! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I personally like the word “sucks” much better. It truly sets the tone. Sometimes, nothing quite sums it up the way “That setup really sucks” does. Funny, though… Can’t seem to find it in any canned reporting system or checklist I’ve seen.

Unprofessional, you say? Well, its a far cry from the politically correct "Appears Serviceable", no?

Really, though. "Significantly deficient" doesnt say what needs to be said. Although we shouldn't say "piece of s**t", "what were they thinking", "this thing is held together with a spit and a prayer", or "sucks"... I think a clearer description than "significantly deficient" is sometimes justified.

"Deficient" describes something that is broken, fails to operate as intended, beyond service life, no good. For things hazardous, dangerous, dilapidated, falling apart, etc... we use those same terms to describe the defect. Sometimes plain language is the best way to communicate. Remember, a lawyer had his hand in the creation/meaning of "significantly deficient". To me, it's like describing something as "extra dead".

Satisfactory, Marginal, Unsatisfactory
Good, Fair, Poor

How much more do we need? Sorry if I'm a stick in the mud with regard to this stuff. I write for a magazine, and always try and use as few words as possible to get the meaning across. I also develop contracts for multi-million dollar operational environments, and work with attorneys all the time. Sometimes, keeping terms clear and to-the-point when dealing with attorneys can be difficult.

To Illinois' example, I think this is an attempt to provide a word for what an inspector can use his own verbiage to better describe. But, if you happen to like the term... what the hell!

And, yes, Joe M is correct when he points out that some inspectors will be called "significantly deficient".

Your "significantly confused", "over opinionated", "super hard-headed", "extra wholesome", and "utterly verbose" inspector from Pearl River, NY (The Town of Friendly People)

Joe Farsetta
"Wizard Deluxe"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe F.

You are just all laughs today. I really like to read your posts, makes my all teary eyed, warm and fuzzy all over.

Joe M has a significant deficiency, or Joe M is significantly deficient. Either way, I'm a half a bubble off plumb. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Joe F.

Verbosity has its place. I agree with you that an inspection report is not it.

"Your "significantly confused", "over opinionated", "super hard-headed", "extra wholesome", and "utterly verbose" inspector from Pearl River, NY (The Town of Friendly People)"

From what I've seen, I'd have to agree with all of the above except "significantly confused". I think you're "significantly right" and enjoy your participation in our confabulation.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi all,

I personally really like the significantly deficient, in fact I like it so much that I feel the whole industry should follow my lead and use the following:

Insignificantly deficient, means: Possibly OK
Deficient, means: Possibly not OK
Significantly deficient, means: Probably not OK (or it gave me a shock !)

I hope you all find this really helpful in confusing your clients more than they are already, and giving your self and your lawyer some thing to argue with the judge over. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"