Sill plate overhanging foundation

Trying to figure out if this amount of sill plate overhang is acceptable. Here’s a video of a couple different locations… the overhang is between 1/2" - 1 1/4" at different parts:

I tried my best to find some literature on this but I’m coming up short. I found this internachi forum thread talking about the subject. Within that thread I found this document that appears to be from the Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce The document seems to say that an overhang up to the actual depth of the sill plate is okay, or 1 1/2" in this case.

Do these overhangs concern anyone? Is there any literature about overhang tolerances in the IRC? I couldn’t find any in either the framing or foundation sections.

Drainage plane/channel for the ledge for Brick or Stone veneer is my guess. What do the plans say about it?

1 Like

Yes, there definitely is a brick shelf. At first I thought the client was confused about that. But the sill plates are overhanging the slab “step” above the shelf - so the sill plate is hanging above the brick shelf by different extents between .5"-1.25"

Didn’t see any plans.

Yes they are always a concern! There should be no overhang.

Since you are doing new construction this is your reference especially if the plans make no mention of this (typically not) and no mention what standard they are using to design framing.

IRC R301.1.1 allows for the use of the AWC Wood Frame Construction Manual for the framing design. Then AWC-WFCM sections 2.4.1.3 & 3.2.1.7 .

Unfortunately ICC has their heads where the sun doesn’t shine and have many, many things not accounted for. One example is go find any specifications for the attachment of interior stairs to the structure! Of course you’ll find exterior stairs in there. DOH!!

1 Like

Plan review should be part of your Phase inspection process, how else can you judge what is what other than ‘installed’ quality? Even a standard Draw inspection requires more info than nothing.

1 Like

I see a lot more hilti nails than anchor bolts and the one I saw is at a 45 degree. Is that allowed in your area?
Since this is only a 2x4 sill, I would not approve of that installation for new construction.
The overhang of the sill plate is now going to cause an overhang on the brick also in order to maintain a 1" cavity air space behind it.
So one screwed up installation screws up the other down the line.
I would note everything and leave it up to the owner and the contractor to hash it out.
But as mentioned above, if you don’t have any reference drawings to base you contention to these defects, you are up against the wall.

2 Likes

Mostly follow the Building Codes here and even the Engineers will reference it in most plans I’ve seen. So anchor bolts are needed on all exterior walls and shear walls.

On a side note Simpson Strong-Tie does manufacture a PAF that is suppose to be an acceptable substitute. However even they say it must be in the approved drawings by the Engineer. And even then if the AHJ’s aren’t smoking a lot of crack they may not allow it! :rofl:

2 Likes

I see it frequently as well. On finished houses it is visible from the garage. If you do the math, that extra ~1" around the entire perimeter of the house adds up to several extra square feet of living area. The builder just made extra $$$ with very little cost.

1 Like

Do builders in your locale supply AHJs with free crack pre-inspection?

1 Like

They must with all the crap I see around here! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just got a chance to watch the video. That’s some SA work there! Found a lot of things just in that <60 seconds.

• PAF’s not even fully driven at the ends of the baseplate.
  • Slurry in the Post Tension Cable end pockets. Should make a little mess when they tension the cables.
  • Bolts to close to the edge of base plates.
  • Bolts not even nutted yet.
  • Baseplate section tilted/warped.
  • At least one stud looked like it was twisted out pretty good.
  • Hard to tell but the rafter ends (I expect because of angle) were potentially short and uneven.

I love new construction inspections! Just finished an 86 page report on an 1850 Sq. Ft. townhome!

2 Likes

Bingo, thank you Emmanuel! :pray:

That’s because they shot it too close to the edge and when the concrete cracks, it’s like shooting in a void.
I agree with what you said.

1 Like

Hello Michael,

I offer the following points for your consideration.

• If residential construction methods in your jurisdiction must comply with IBC codes, please refer to section 2308.6 Foundation plates or Sills. This section provides the anchoring requirements.
  • Please refer to section 2308.9.2.4 for bearing plate requirements. If the framing contractor used 2X6 sill plates and the walls are constructed using 2X4 materials a plate overhang the foundation wall still provides full bearing for the studs is permissible, however it is contrary to the good and accept6able framing practices. Did you check the foundation to insure it is square?
  • Additionally, an appropriately licensed professional engineer can design and seal framing plans that deviated from the applicable code and must also be approved for implementation by the local code officials.

Hello Jaffar,

Which cycle of the IBC are you referencing? Also is this a local (to your area) version? The general versions of the IBC do not have those sections or they do not cover what you are describing. Section 2308.6 is for braced wall lines and 2308.9.2.4 does not exist. Both of those same in 2018 and 2021 cycles.

Looks like the main issue is the foundation was poured incorrectly. Did you check the form work prior the pour? Remember when a project turns out good everyone asks who was the contractor, when it goes bad they ask who’s the inspector. Did you get your client involved? Remember saying nothing is interpreted as giving approval.

4 Likes

Two very good points, thank you Randy. I didn’t do the pre-pour, though.

And yes, the client is very involved. He’s supposedly a civil engineer and is all over it.

Do you guys not have a building inspector (AHJ) inspecting new construction?

2 Likes

Hello Emmanuel,

Thank you for the follow-up email. I have attached a picture of both sections of IBC (2012), which I referenced in my original posted comments. In IBC (2018) wall framing section 2304.3 for bottom plates section 2304.3.1 IBC (2018), the bottom plate bearing requirements have remained the same as long as I remember dating back to the 1980s. The earliest hard copy codebook that I keep in my office is IRC 2003 for your reference section R602.3.4; in this codebook has the exact bottom plate bearing requirements.

I deal with three different Jusirstications (Maryland, Virginia, and The District of Columbia) in my area. Maryland and Virginia have other local municipalities within each state and work from the older versions of IBC codes, as adopted or modified.

For foundation plates and sills, fastening requirements, please refer to section 2308.1 (IBC 2018). I hope this email addresses all your questions about this subject. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

All the best,

Jaffar Ahmad,

BSCE, MSE,

Principal

301-717-8491

Prudent Home Inspections

Jaffar@phidm.com

https://prudenthomeinspections.com/

1 Like

That is a sign of a piss poor foundation contractor. The builder had to float the walls out over the foundation to maintain parallel and square walls.