Sill plate overhanging foundation

Yes up to the final inspection and even the final in a couple of exceptions.

Emmanuel - yes I think we are doing basically the same thing except I don’t reference the code much because like the example you provided, it’s not all that helpful in a lot of cases. Especially for framing and foundation issues. The code is much more specific for mechanical issues.
I am seeing some changes to the contracts here. One is the addition of a non disclosure agreement that the buyers and I have to sign saying we won’t talk about the results of the inspection with anyone else. There were some previous posts about this. The builders contracts say that they don’t have to fix anything from a home inspection, that they have no obligations from the report findings etc. I did have some clients where the builders raised prices on them based on material costs. Which were legitimate at the time but have settled down now.
It’s all about who is going to spend the $ to lobby the politicians. The NAHB and the NAR are always going to buy politicians to make the laws work in their favor. These associations have way more influence and power than anyone in the inspection community ever will, so the laws will always favor them. It’s just how this country works.
I work really hard to give my clients as much info as I can and then I leave the ball in their corner and see what they want to do with it. Often with married clients, one of them wants to sue the builder and the other one doesn’t care, so they have to figure out how far they want to take it. One of my clients that they built the wrong model for got $35,000 off the cost of the home plus a bunch of defects fixed. I’d say they got their money’s worth from my $1,300 worth of phase inspections.
The word of mouth business from new construction inspections travels faster and farther than regular transfer inspections. You can spread like wild fire through a community once word gets passed around. It’s rare that I don’t get at least 5+ referrals from one new construction inspection. These are from clients too, as most don’t have realtors. Though I do teach classes for realtors and have educated many of them about doing phase inspections and it’s starting to sink in with them.
This forum is a great place to share all of this stuff bc the builders basically do the same thing in every state.

In the 20 years I was a framer in S. California I don’t think I ever once filled all the joist hanger nail holes. I always left the two bottom holes empty (nailing from above). I did that right in front of an inspector more than once and they didn’t say a word.
I saw all the joist hangers of an entire apartment building in LA fastened with 8d vinyl-coated sinkers. That’s way, way under-fastened, but the inspectors didn’t care.
If the nailheads broke the veneer of th shear panel, they would call that. Or if you missed a row when nailing off the roof sheathing they would call that.

1 Like