Sister Rafter Repairs

Gentlemen,

I was asked to look at the repairs of these sister rafters. Roofer has a reputation for sloppy job. I see the they cut several corners and I wanted to ask you if you see anything else:

1. not extending the sisters long enough past the wall.
  2. nailing instead of bolding the sisters onto the rafters itself.
  3. had they extended the sisters long enough, they would have to install on the opposing side of the joists.
  4. install sister over sister both of which are to short to add any value.

Do you see anything else? What else do you see?

Thanks,

There is debris covering the soffit vent.

Otherwise, your list looks good from N. MI. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Larry!

The rot needs to be removed.
As it is it is FUBAR.
I would have never done it that way.

2 Likes

Are they done with the repairs? there is a reason roofers are roofers and carpenters are carpenters, Roofers are generally not good at making quality carpentry repairs, And plumbers are generally not good at making Electrical repairs. Are they going to throw down the sheathing, drip edge, And roofing, and walk away? There are rodent holes in the soffit vent, The soft and fascia need replacement also, Now is the time to repair the rotting soffit and fascia before the sheathing and roofing go down.

3 Likes

Too expensive, client won’t pay for it.

1 Like

They already done it and walked away indeed.

Simon,
Yes this was one of those insurance claims where the roofer got an AOB and promised the world and under delivered. Thanks,

Well at least the rodents will have a warm and dry place to live in this winter, they will make lots of babies and shrive in there new home. :chipmunk: :grinning:

2 Likes

I agree with Scott. The whole eve should have been cut out at the exterior wall and rebuilt with proper material. That facia is just as bad as the rafter tails.

2 Likes

For a sistered rafter to be effective you have to attach the sister to something other than rotten wood. With a 2 foot overhang I would recommend a minimum of three times the overhang or 6 foot on the house side of the wall. So use an 8 foot sister.

3 Likes

3 times? is that to support just the overhang or the rafter end as well?

Is going 1 rafter (16" OC) in on the gable end for 2x8 outlookers sitting upright (16" OC) on the dropped gable end top plate enough for 2 foot overhang? if it’s not, how deep should they go?

2 Likes

Again the Contractor takes a short cut. Installing the sister on the opposing side, like they were suppose to, in order to add two foot splice, they would of had to notch it for the birds mouth, so they choose the other side which is inadequate.
Two feet of splice with bearing on the wall with a birds mouth cut would have been more than adequate. IMHO

3 Likes

Randy, your reply was the one I was looking for and wondered why no one else mentioned the general cantilever guidelines of no more then 1/3 if total length bring beyond the point of support. Should anyone read this, Seema to me all decayed wood Needed to be removed before the sisters added AND if the decay goes beyond the bearing wall, the entire rafter replaced,

1 Like

Thank you very much gentlemen! Very good support!! really appreciated!!

⅔ the length of the rafter sisters should have extended back into the roof structure (sisters overall should be three times the length of the overhang. Fascia and sub-fascia… the subfascia looks bad in the first photo and not so bad in the second photo, but maybe the sub-fascia/fascia should have been fastened to the sisters. Kinda hard to tell from these photos.

1 Like

The 1/3rd rule is for sistering floor joist cantilevers.
Rafter tails can be sistered using the 2:1 ratio.
Since some of the damaged tails are still usable, I feel that would of been more than adequate for that repair. IMO
https://strousehomeinspections.com/blog/structural-roof-extensions.html#:~:text=The%20rafter%20extensions%20are%20attached,of%20sistering%20of%20the%20rafters.

1 Like

These are not real “sisters” as they are not supportive in the traditional sense…they’re just blocking added at the tails to even out the line for the subfascia and soffit and to compensate for any rot at the tails…As long as the rafter has enough “meat” left to nail to it’s probably ok…if the tail was broken it would be better to extend them back past the birds mouth…

2 Likes

We said the same thing in different ways, Marcel. Re-reading mine, I wasn’t quite clear.

2 Likes