Solid branch aluminum question

Came across this 200 amp GE panel. Many wires in the panel appeared to be pigtailed. I found a outlet in the basement that had solid branch aluminum wiring. Im thinking that the majority of these pigtails are aluminum to copper. Im calling out the aluminum that i found but if this is aluminum under the majority of these wire nuts would the wire nuts also be the wrong type. Ive only read that purple IDEAL wire nuts with antioxidant used are the only acceptable allowed wire nuts for aluminum to copper. Thanks for any help with this and please feel free to call out anything else you guys see. There are also double tapped neutrals that im calling out. Some of the wiring appears to be undersized to the breakers also

I do not like the “purple” Ideal No.65. I prefer AlumiConn.

U.S. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION

WASHINGTON. D.C. 20207
Dr. Jesse Aronstein
Consulting Engineer
c/o General Delivery
Galway, NY 12074
Re: Twist-On Connectors for Aluminum Wiring
Dear Dr. Aronstein:
In answer to your recent inquiry, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff does not consider the use of the twist-on connector (including the Ideal No.65) to be a suitable repair for aluminum wiring in residences.
Acceptable repairs are those identified in the CPSC publication “Repairing Aluminum Wiring” (copy enclosed).
Sincerely,

William H. King, Jr.
Director
Division of Electrical Engineering

2 Likes

A master electrician told me they use the black marettes and anti-oxidant. The black marettes are high temp (150 degrees celsius/302 degrees farenheit). The brown marettes (#63 & #65) are also rated for aluminum. Apparently, there’s been a few safety issues with the purples.

1 Like

All you really need is aluminum foil, electrical tape & a penchant for death.
Simply connect the wires and wrap them together in aluminum foil.
Then tightly wrap electrical tape around it and there you have it-DONE! :fire:

2 Likes

Haha! Perfect! I’ve been pig-tailing. Home is a 1971. Of the receptacles, switches, light fixtures, etc we have done so far, we have not found any evidence yet of loose wires/arcing/etc…The aluminum foil and electrical tape would make things easier! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here in the US that would not be a suitable fix. You would need a listed connector to make the splice.

2 Likes

What’s your opinion of the purples? Thanks!

I got the above from two different master electricians, one in Alberta, and one here in PEI.

The Twister® Al/Cu by Ideal is great because it’s about the size of a regular wirenut. The Alumiconn connectors are good to but they take up more space in the box. They both are good. I like the idea of an individual terminal for each conductor that the Alumiconn offers. If splicing room weren’t an issue I would use the Alumiconn. Both types are expensive.

1 Like

Isn’t that the one considered unsafe, Ideal Twister #65?

Is it? Where did you hear that?

Couple links here. I know the electricians I spoke with cautioned against the purples as well, I assume it was these.

https://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/Aluminum_Wire_Repairs_Not_Recommended.php

They are a pain in the ass 'cause of the size for sure

I like the idea of each conductor having it’s own terminal. I’m guessing that the melted mess that Junior posted was from an inferior splice. As far as I know those Twisters are still UL listed for Al to Cu splices but the Aluminconn are much more idiot proof.

3 Likes

Not sure. The study by Dr. Jesse Aronstein is interesting for sure. https://www.kinginnovation.com/pics/db/docs/253-ReducingFire.pdf

I have remediated several homes and only use the alumiconn connectors. I will replace a box or pull a new wire where I can not fit them. I include a link to the CPSC recommendation when i notify my clients of solid aluminum branch wiring.

3 Likes

Nice! this post stayed on track! All to do with aluminum wiring!

1 Like

They are not against code so it is safe… … …

1 Like

Ideal Twister® is one method of joining copper and solid aluminum conductors. There are other suitable connectors for joining copper and solid aluminum conductors.

2 Likes

Marrette Black®️ connectors are rated for copper only. They should never be used to join aluminum and copper. Marrette ACS®️ (brown) connectors are rated for use with aluminum but are not UL listed.

1 Like

I understand that the blacks are suppose to be copper only. From what I understood, you’re twisting together aluminum and copper anyway. The black marettes are rated for a lot higher heat, compared to others. Both electricians had brought up the safety concern with those purple twisters. I’m going to ask another couple master electricans that I know, and get their feedback as well. Thanks!