Aluminum wiring mitigation

Inspected a home today - built in 1966 - original wiring is aluminum. There have been circuits added that are copper. There are AlumiConns installed on the aluminum circuits inside the panel. However, I opened a receptacle and a light switch, to find that the aluminum wires were pig-tailed using purple wire nuts, not Alumiconns. Not sure when it was done, or by whom. I’m thinking this is improper for mitigation… thoughts?

Purple wire nuts was the method for a while years ago but is no longer endorsed by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission). It kind of sucks for all the people that did the purple wire nut thing. I just refer people to an “an electrician familiar with aluminum wiring and/or the CPSC.”

5 Likes

Did they lose their UL listing?

Looks like they still sell them so I’m guessing not. https://www.homedepot.com/p/IDEAL-Twister-Al-Cu-Wire-Connectors-Purple-10-Pack-30-1765S/202935623

I think this is one of those things where different people and agencies will have different opinions and ideas. Precisely why I stay out of it and just defer to someone in a higher pay grade.

1 Like

Are you talking about the 4 point?
It only lists alumicon and COPALUM crimp as options, so I would just list the wire nuts under the "additional info"section, and let the insurance carrier decide.

For the client report, I would mention that those wire nuts are not "approved"anymore, and that they have been known to cause fires. The aluminum and copper are twisted around each other, and don’t have room to expand.
Recommend electrician evaluate all connection points for safety.
https://www.alwirerepair.com/photo-gallery/burned-purples

1 Like

LOL. I have used them. Would updating the wiring be preferred? Yes, but this is an acceptable fix to leaving it as is.

I call BS on the article.

" CAUTION: Many electricians, who are not COPALUM certified, recommend other repair methods. While these repair methods are less expensive than COPALUM crimp connectors, we agree with the CPSC that these repairs are considered unacceptable and “does not solve the problem of overheating present in aluminum branch circuits.”"

They are not intended to prevent overheating.

Then what is their intended purpose?

The COPALUM crimp connector, which has been available for more than 20 years, is the only system recognized by CPSC that provides a complete and permanent repair and reduces the fire hazard in aluminum wire circuits.

May Is National Electrical Safety Month: Good News for Homeowners - Aluminum Wiring Fix Still Available | CPSC.gov.

To provide a safe connection between/with the dissimilar metals.

Opinion: Because people don’t always install items properly - they decided to scare everyone to prevent their use. I would have no problem using them if the need presented itself.

I guess all those photos are fake too then.
TBH, I didn’t even read the article, I just did a quick Google search for the burnt purple wire nuts.

I never said they were intended to prevent overheating. The problem is the copper and aluminum are still in contact with each other, and the wire nut doesn’t leave room for them to expand, which does cause heat build up.

“CPSC believes that “twist-on” connectors, receptacles and switches and other devices that connect directly to aluminum wires, are an inadequate solution. The COPALUM crimp connector system provides a safe, permanent fix.”

Believes. Just what I thought.

I could show you pictures of crashed cars. That doesn’t mean that any of them are unsafe.

I would guess that they were not properly installed (see earlier comment) or most likely the circuit has more current on it than the wire could handle.

I could show you many burnt receptacles. That doesn’t mean that they are unsafe.

The Ideal purple #65 wire nuts are listed for use with copper to aluminum conductors. The spring inside has been tested to allow for the differing expansion ratios of the materials.

Who is not “approving” them now?

4 Likes

Aluminum wiring expands far more than copper. Which causes connections to come loose. Which causes heat. Which can lead to a fire. I am not against the purple wire nuts. But the whole premise is to prevent overheating.

1 Like

Are you this same Michael parks?
Because you already act like him, and just joined a few days ago…

2 Likes

That’s me. I’m a member now.

I have been told that besides the uneven expansion/contraction between copper/aluminum is also the likelihood of oxidation form the dissimilar metals. If antioxidant paste is also used, I have read that the purple wire nuts are acceptable. Without the paste, the wires can oxidize.

2 Likes

dont waste Your time responding to this PIA Daniel, it is only a matter of time till he is gone again…

6 Likes

I’m “kinda” surprised Nick let him come back. Must be to help boost up the slow message board.

5 Likes