SOP

I guess we are fortunate in Lee County to have online access to local city and county building permits. These sites allow us to simply copy and paste the permit info into our photo pages. We don’t expect our customers ( mostly buyers of the property) to track down this easy to find info. WE do the job the customer hired us to do and get a fair price for doing it. If I did my wind mits for free like some do I would complain too. Meeker start charging for your work and you’ll feel better about it. As a licensed GC you must have realized that building homes and new construction work is much more dangerous than climbing though an attic. Do the job your hired the right way or get out of the business.

In many jurisdictions in the Tampa Bay area the permits are available on-line - And I am happy to handle those myself- It’s those small towns that don’t have the on-line database that is going to present the challenge. - That’s a cost that the local market may not bear…

For our smaller markets I give the address and they give me the information. I put down who I talked to at the building department and put that info in the form. Done…

I love these problems. Please do not look at them through Meeker eyes…look at them as way to corner the market. Find a way, get the info and perform the job better. This is not a problem but in fact a way to rise above the rest and make a name for yourself and your company. These speed bumps will only loose the deadbeats anyways…

Well said Russell

Yeah Russ, that’s how we do it today. My concern is with the Note before question 1 on the new form - Any documentation used in validating the compliance…blah, blah, blah…must accompany this form…blah, blah, blah…

That would seem to indicate that any permit application information that is cited on the form must have a copy of the document to prove its existance. Getting them on-line where available - minor problem - fetching them and/or paying up to $20.00 per…not so minor.

I do do the job I am supposed to do. I verify and document conditions and proof. If you do more I hope you get paid for it.

And - Gentlemen, please! Do not get Meeker all riled up! All that does is trash a perfectly good thread!

Minor problems Hah. Major problems and not your responsibility. Do you other guys track down their noas and such as well? Hell how long do you actually spend doing these things. People doing more than required is destroying the insurance inspection industry for the clients most importantly and the inspectors secondly. You idiots are regulating yourselves into a real corner. Enjoy it I refuse to participate in you stupid standardization of everything.

You really think the bldg depts that are not online are going to put up with this crap for free.

to late I guess. Idiots do tend to irritate me.

Since I look at these issues on a daily basis given the right data I can easily find and retrieve permitting and NOA documentation - If it takes me a few minutes to assist a client in obtaining discounts that are available - then I choose to do so. I, for one, am not willing to let the 80 year old widow who does not have a computer hang out to dry because she doesn’t understand what she needs or how to get it.

As others have said - Its how you choose to run your business - This doesn’t make an idiot out of anyone - just a matter of willingness to provide service or not - If you choose not be helpful, no skin off my nose!

I too look out for the proverbal little ole lady and vets to,
but it is not the job. It is above and beyond.

MEEKER HERE IS THE DEAL:
· Is your business
· Do the best job you are capable to do
· Charge whatever you feel is necessary
· Provide the available information
· Follow the instructions question by question in the screwball form

If the information is not available and the home owner does not have the information on hand then charge them twice and complete the form. If the home owner is not willing to pay for the extra work they can find someone like Russell and others that have all the resources to provide the service at no extra cost. It is all about resources.:roll:

Stop fighting with these folks -Xyou are not getting anywhere. You do not need more enemies you have enough already. In my case, I set a price period if the customer is not willing to pay for my professional services they can go to someone else. I rather stay home sipping a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue and smoking a Cuban Cohiba Siglo VI cigar looking at the Gulf of Mexico waves:-({|=. I do have plenty business and I live a very comfortable life\:D/. You are a contractor for God sakes be cool, be happy. Me I am just a former contractor, Retired Engineer (PE) and I have fun being a HI and a MA. Relax brother you are going to have a heart attack. If w/m is too much of an issue don’t do them. Let other folks crawl in the attic. Have a drink on me and send me the bill. Cheers!!\:D/

Thanks for the drink :slight_smile:

I am starting to worry about a heart attack because this whole biz and economy does have me quite agitated. I have made a few friends since I became a member here but on the other hand I have come to know only on this message board some folks I really do not care for and whose opinions really aggravate me.

To bad I wasn’t a little smarter in my past life but I did have one hell of a good ride for a long long time.

It is how I have always done it. On one home that I was looking up to see when the electrical was done, I found that a lien had been placed on the home and the lady just bought it!
She was very thankful…as most are when you do a little something extra…for free.

Just like the client that I contacted the manufacturer about the “Sanibel” strap and included it in the wind mit report. Ended up getting five more inspections out of that 5 minute investment.

The girls in my office say every once in awhile they get that but then call back in 10min and get someone else that gives them the information. Other can be hard to get to get to call back but we have now solve that problem to.

You would be the homeowners agent

Calling and getting the information verbally has never been an issue (OK, maybe sometimes some grump doesn’t want to do the research…) I’m more concerned with getting actual hard copies from jurisdications that don’t have on-line access - That is were the cost comes in…

The other thing is we are in constant contact with the building dept everyday and they know us. We not only do permit search for wind mits but also regular home inspections

Do as Russ said and list the name and number of the person you spoke with. If your really nice and the get to know you they may email a screen shot of their search. But you have to be real nice.

As do we - We actually do a search for any type of inspection - Some of the smaller communities we don’t get to very often - but we have been known to include them on holiday goodies distributions!