SOP

How do you handle getting your pre-agreement signed, do you use the online agreement and get a physical copy signed at the house? also how do you include your SOP, do you send a copy in an email with the pre agreement, how do you handle your legal paperwork prior to an inspection?

Under the Florida Home Inspector Law 2010

468.8321  Disclosures-Prior to contracting for or commencing a home inspection, a                      home inspector shall provide to the consumer a copy of his                      or her license to practice home inspection services in this                      state and a written disclosure that contains the scope and                      any exclusions of the home inspection.

Mine is part of the report. I make a pdf of it add a signature box, and send it to the client. Then, after I get it back, I replace the existing pages with the signed page.

I use the online agreement and send the sop link via email. The electronic signature is binding so i dont get a physical signature. Give them copies at inspection. If no email is used by them, i send them a hard copy via certified mail or deliver through agent.

For discussion- How can we list all exclusions prior to seeing the subject property? What if we get on site and there is no attic access? What if the home has a crawlspace but only has 5 inches clearance between the joists and grade? What if a seller is a hoarder and rooms are completely filled with stored materials? How can we list these exclusions in advance of commencing the inspection?

Wouldnt your agreement have verbage as to unaccessible areas?

Same here but as the law states you need to provide it. I didnt see it said it needs to be signed

Yes. but only generally.

Then generally, I can’t exclude something until I get there to see it to exclude it…generally! :shock: :shock:

That was my point. Thanks for validating.

It would be obvious to most, that you can’t disclose what you are going to inspect or not inspect, in specific terms, until you arrived at the property. The “intent” and I hate that word, is to let your client know what you are and are not going to do,so they are aware of it. If at the inspection, other issues arise which would force you to exclude an item, then, and if I am not mistaken in the new SoP, if it ever gets finished, it says this, you are to tell what was not inspected and why. I do it all the time and always have.

While it would-or should be obvious to most, I would like to know that it would be obvious to the person or board responsible for regulating me. That is the question.

Well, now…you are just in another universe! :mrgreen:
There is no telling what a board, if there ever is one, would determine but, I think it would be common sense that if something was excluded at the inspection, and the reason it was excluded is spelled out in the report, one would hope the board would be able to figure it out.

I like your optimistic outlook. may not be realistic- but it is optimistic.

The Illinois SOP covers these situations.

e) At** the conclusion **of the home inspection, a home inspector shall submit a written report, which can be in electronic format (including electronic signature), to the client or duly authorized representative within 2 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays) that includes the home inspector’s signature and license number and license expiration date and shall

C) Disclosure of any systems or components designated for inspection that were present at the time of the home inspection but were not inspected with a reason why they were not inspected.

As I remembered:

From the Florida SoP…if it is ever implemented.