Spliced roof rafters

delete

It helps to have cross-term undertanding between tradesmen and engineers. It’s more important for a person to be able to effectively communicate an idea to someone who needs to understand it than it is to be technically correct within their trade or profession.

Very well put, Ken.
It amazes me how different terminology is from one part of the country to the next and from within the construction industry itself be it contractors, architechs or engineers, or old-timers to newbies, we’re looking at the same thing but may call it something a little different than someone else. But you hit the nail right on the head;). Pun intended! The key is not to argue amongst ourselves as to whose term is more correct but to help those who turn to us for guidance. With that (allow me to jump of the soapbox and hopefully didn’t break my neck doing so ;-)) and go back to Linda’s original thread.
She mentioned the rafters cut in a “V” at the ridge board and looking at the picture, you guys correct me if I’m wrong but I believe she’s describing the framing of a hip roof. Common rafters coming in at an angle to the hip rafter, which is, if Linda reads this, is normal (the hip rafter acts like a ridge board for the common rafters). The plywood scab on only 1 side of the rafters bother me and as an inspector would lead me to believe it’s to strengthen an otherwise defective rafter, considering the weight being added (it might suffice an asphalt shingle roof). What would red-flag me even more is the size and location of the collar ties and where does the strong-back land. What is under the point load of those vertical supports. Is there solid blocking? Do they land on a wall and is the load then transfered down to the beam and then to the foundation/lally column/footing/mother earth??? IMHO it appears the tile roof was an after thought and the purlin was put in for additional support. Being that this is new construction, the contractor should have planned for the added weight of the tile and either used 2 x 10’s or doubled up the 2 x 8’s and/or spaced them 12" oc.
Just my $0.005 worth (not a NACHI member ***yet, ***therefore I don’t qualify for a full 2 cents worth, LOL):smiley:

Looking at the picture again, I see it differently this time! Correct me if I’m wrong, but do I see the rafters spliced with one board on top of the other?? As though adding a 2x6 to a 2x8 will make a 2x14?? Now I’m really confused!

I returned to the house and took more photos. The foiled OSB gives a nice reflection and makes it hard to distinguish.

First is a side view with the circle showing the area of interior splicing. There are 6 on the side shown: 1 and 2 to the left of the highest ridge; 3,4,5,6 extend to the ridge, and 7 is on the rear roof. 1-6 are spliced < 8’ of the ridge.

These splices are a “side-laying -v-” or actually a ‘<’.

I recommended that if splices were not shown on the engineered drawings, to have a structural engneer give further evaluation. I haven’t heard back from them.

100.jpg

100_5326b (Small).jpg

100_5338b (Small).jpg

100_4875a (Small).jpg

Much better pics Linda. I now see what you were talking about. Who in their right mind would do such a thing, especially in new construction!!! I’d be worried if they would do that in new construction what the hell would they do to a remodel???
IMHO you’re absolutely correct - if it’s not in the engineered drawings call in the structural engineer.