Rafter framing photo/question

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ran into a poorly framed house today and trying to write up what is wrong with it. Well I know what is wrong, just not sure how to put it.

![](upload://syJpUsrwSm6WH2V8ESUJ7bPMY1p.gif)

Steep pitched roof and very long rafters. This is in the attic above the 2nd floor. They have spliced 2x8 rafters and continued onward with 2x6 rafters to the peak. They are simple scabbed onto to the each other and nailed together.

![](upload://syJpUsrwSm6WH2V8ESUJ7bPMY1p.gif)

In this photo you can see the bracing they added at the splice. There are some 2x8 spliced to 2x8's but mostly it is 2x6's. Pretty obvious they they just used what they had rather than get what they needed.

My question is what is the proper way to splice a rafter? Or is there one??

I think they should have ended the rafters on top of the wall and then started from the top of the wall with a new rafter from there to the peak.

The buyer came in the attic to see this. I am just trying to decide how to write this up and exactly how to say what is wrong here. BTW I found a couple of other bad framing methods in the attic too.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: jklimack

Jeff,

You do not give enough info such as does the bottom of the scabed rafters support a overhang, is this a true splice or does the longer rafters go from the top outside wall plate to the ridge.

If it is a true splice you would require a continous knee wall under this slice. In this situation I would advise my client that this assembly does not meet the structural standards and requires further investigation by a licensed professional such as a structural engineer or registered architect. John/All-County NJ

Originally Posted By: R. Michael Gray, P.E.

I find the photos pretty dark to be real sure of what to write up but here goes:

* Every splice must be braced at the spspliceith a strut that goes to a load-bearing wall.

* The purlins should be at least as large as the rafters they support.

* The purlins should fit into a notch cut into the supporting struts; these appear to rest on tees.

* I would at least write it up as an area of concern based on sloppiness of nothing else.

* The framing should be brought up to accepted industry practices such as the IRC. And the framing should be done in a good and workmanlike manner.

R. MIchael Gray, PE
Professional Structural Engineer
webmaster: www.houston-slab-foundations.info

Originally Posted By: jhorton

OK, let me try to explain this better. The rafters are hidden in a cathedral ceiling. I am assuming that they are one long rafter from the plate of the first floor to what you see in the attic above the second floor. The 2x8 rafters end in the attic, mid span of the attic. Then they have nailed 2x6’s to the sides of the 2x8s and these 2x6’s run to the ridge. The splice is along the brace you see in the photo.

They looked good on my screen but I lightened up the photos some for you guys and reloaded them.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: mkober

Why not check the plans for the roof framing? If the “actual” doesn’t match the “required”, simply inform your client of same and suggest he (she) demand a credit from the builder in the amount of “X” thousand dollars to cover potential future related performance defects. A call to the local AHJ might not hurt, either.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"