Square-D Homeline bonding screw question.

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Situation is a newer Square-D loadcenter (probably upgraded from a Zinsco) in a condo. 125 amp sevice disconnects are outside. The panel has a four wire feed, an added grounding bar and separated grounds and neutrals. The problem is that the strap connecting the two neutral bars has green screws. Am I right in assuming that this means the neutral bars are still bonded (incorrectly) to the panel? The Square-D technical resource site is down for maintenance just when I need it!

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0/050607C013cropped.jpg ]

While we're at it...this panel had a main breaker (not required, but there anyway). The toggle for on/off was broken off flush with the breaker. At this point I don't care whether the main breaker is required or not...it's there, it's broken, it needs fixin'. My question is, can an electrician fix this or is this automatic replacement? I'm guessing the latter, although I'm sure the factory could fix it for a nickel in 15 seconds.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

First I doubt those are bonding screws, I have never seen a panel that had two bonding screw locations like that.

As far the broken breaker, we can not field repair breakers that small. They are glued or riveted shut, if you did 'force' it open the calibration would be lost.

The breaker will have to be replaced and it will cost close to, or as much as a entire new panel. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

There can be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

The picture showing a small part of the cabinet and panelboard will be easier to discuss if we could see the entire assembly, can you send that to me or post it here?

I have a question about the equipment grounding terminal bar on the left side, it seems to be covering a very important warning?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Is that aluminum wire?

edit: nevermind I guess it isn't since the grounds are copper.. those neutrals sure look it though... must be the lighting.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

The full photo…not much else to see though.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/0/050607C013s.jpg ]

No solid aluminum...just the flash. The square-D site is back up, but not much help as all topics refer back to the panel wiring diagram, which I was unable to interpret on-site. They really need to make those larger and positioned so that they can always be read. I'm covering my assets by "requiring" the main breaker be replaced by a licensed electrician and that he should evaluate the neutral bar bonding (or rather lack of it) at the same time.

Thanks guys...

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I agree with Bob. Those screws are just what attaches the busses to the crossover. The MBJ screw will go in the hole in the center of the crossover bar. (under the “C” in “green screws” on the original; picture).

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Notice the double tapped bare ground on the left in the 1st picture?

Or is that just me?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Square D allows up to 3 groundING wires on their bus. Neutral (groundED ) wires are limited to one by the 2002 and later NEC.