Step flashing at vertical wall?

Just about all the homes I inspect have L shaped flashing in lenght of say 10 feet were the roof line meets a vertical wall. (new construction and old construction) All of my references call for step flashing in these situation. I just wanted others opinions. Should it always be step flashing? If so how do you write it up? Thanks

In Arizona they use one piece of continual L-Flashing or what we call Sidewall Flashing

In my opinion and the Building inspectors, one peice or 10 foot lengths is much better than numerous pieces of step flashing, especially in conjunction with stucco. Some contractors with a flashing Break will make the entire length on-site from roll stock.

Are they useing kickouts at the bottom? No matter what kind of cladding?
http://www.dryflekt.com

The less the joints in any flashing the less the chance of water backing up under it. I go with the long runs. The only time I want to see step flashing is when it is properly set into brick morter.
Larry

no, very seldom do you see kick out flashings. A big concern of mine is when the roof meets at a column usually for an upper portion of the roof. The problem is the brick sticks out a little further than the veritical wall. It looks like a place for disaster. See picture.

Kick-Out?..-X

KickOut2.jpg

KickOut2.jpg

KickOut.jpg

Woops, here is the picture. See were roof meets brick. This job I was able to actually look between the vertical wall and brick and see exposed 2x4 studs.
There was flashing though.

capt002.JPE.jpg

Pathetic, but very typical for new construction…:shock:

The bottom of that vertical wood trim on the high side of the bricks will certainly rot in a few years. Dirt and debris will pile up against it and keep it damp after any perception.

And then the roofers put their flashing on over the housewrap!!!
http://www.badstucco.com/tybad/tybad.htm
Then the windows!
http://www.badstucco.com/windows/WINDOWS.htm

And the list just keeps on growing!
Where are their heads?

Carl,

Where are you getting all those wild pictures with the wood trim installed? Lawsuiteville?

Their applying stucco? or Vinyl-Aluminum Siding?

Why do you say that dale?
Stucco for the most part and some hardy!
I can be reached toll free 1-888-830-2687 or email cabinkc1961@yahoo.com
That smart trim is not to touch masonry!

Its not stucco doesn’t have enough problems the houses are set up to fail long before the succo contractor gets there! I have 27 years invested in the trade and last june I quit!
I am gonna find me another job!

Some of the pictures from the street some from the yard some from other guys that are tired 2!

Dale I am really suprised they haven’t tried to shut my website down!

Not Me…:smiley:

I enjoy telling people, and writing for a fee how screwed-up their buildings are.

I have never seen a building with EIFS in which I could not find something wrong with the stucco or flashing…NEVER…

When the carpenters start installing the windows and the first layer of moisture barrier and the FLASHING!
And the roofers put their flashing behind the housewrap so there is two layers of protection when it is for stucco just like ASTM calls for,then some of the leaks will go away. As long as tyvek says to tape the flashing back to the wrap and tape all the horizontal joints. Trapping the moisture in when it gets in things wil just keep getting worse for the homeowner! IMO
I saw a post the other day about sayings heard on jobs!
The 1 I have heard the most!
(F___ it!! It aint my house!)

Sorry for the RANT!

Then you have the weep flashing…never fails, always screwed-up.

Foundations out of plumb, the home doesn’t fit quite right…yada, yada…etc, etc.

i32.jpg

Or…I can’t see it from my house…

You have heard them 2!

Then there"s the untrained that wouldn’t know if it hit them in the face!

I was told a couple years ago I was to passionate about it so I quit and it got worse!

They need to redesign WEEPSCREED!

Who would want a car with uncoverd bumpers! It might have a function but it sure is UGLY!!

Sounds like you need a drink to calm yourself down:smiley: Easy, Easy:smiley:

Here is the moisture wrap you get in AZ. around the windows, and they went out of their way with it on this Condo complex…

cover1.jpg