still trying to figure out environmental testing and labs

Originally Posted By: jeubank
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How do you established inspectors handle environmental testing? Which tests do you offer? Which labs do you work with to obtain results? How do you decide if you are qualified enough to do these tests?

Recently I've been following a couple of other threads on the Message Board. The discussions started off with some questions like these that I'm asking here, and then they drifted off into more technical and legal aspects. But I need to figure out my basic environmental testing plan first. So I'm asking inspectors who have a plan to give me some ideas. Thanks.

--
Inspected once, inspected right throughout southern Colorado

www.eubankinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Here are my thoughts James. What exactly do you mean by enviornmentl testing? How does your Insurance company define enviornmental testing? What sort of enviornmental training/expierence have you had in the past? What are other Home Inspecors offering as far as Enviornmental testin in your area.

I do not do it.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: gporter

Are you talking about mold

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Not yet

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: jeubank

To answer Brian’s question, environmental testing is those tests that are excluded in NACHI’s SOP:

J. The presence of mold, mildew or fungus.

K. The presence of air-borne hazards.

N. The air quality.

O. The existence of asbestos.

P. The existence of environmental hazards.

Q. The existence of electro-magnetic fields.

R. The presence of hazardous materials including, but not limited to, the presence of lead in paint.

S. Any hazardous waste conditions.

My insurance company does not define environmental testing. My training is a college minor in biochemistry. My experience is with common chemical tests, such as water quality testing. The popular tests around here are water quality and radon. Hardly any requests for mold.

I had been offering these tests until a few weeks ago. I don't want to offer them again until I'm more clear about these questions I asked at the beginning of this thread. Hopefully I can see what other inspectors are doing, and get some ideas that way.

--
Inspected once, inspected right throughout southern Colorado

www.eubankinspections.com

Originally Posted By: kjones

How about a quick poll to see how many members do various tests?

Originally Posted By: gmulrain

I do a couple of tests Radon Which I send to the lab that is listed on the kit.

I just set up the test make sure that it is not tampered with(home made device). Pick up the kit and send it to the listing lab. Then I wait for the results. I’ve done some extensive research on the subject so I know something about it. Which gives me the ability to carry on an intelligent conversation with the client and the RA. It’s been successful.

I offer a water quality test which I also send to the local bottled water company. They give me an extensive analysis (and try to sell me a system).

Other services that I offer on my website I sub to other contractors. Eg. mold. I can determine if it’s there or not, but I don’t anything else.

hope this helps.