Stone work installation help

I dont get to see much real stone on homes, but this stuff looked all wrong to me.

Stone was attached to substrate wood or block by metal tabs and mortared in. Suprisingly most was still attached, but many areas had loose stones. Multiple voids and holes, no expanded metal underneath.

The home was built in the 90’s

What is the proper attachement for this stuff. I would think just like any other masonry stucture. Also it was built around deck posts as well and did not have any metal lathe. Are there any potential concerns for covering presure treated posts?

Defective installation of a a Fabricated Stone Veneer (not real stone)…

http://blog.wahigroup.com/files/4/3/1/3/0/310486-303134/stone_article_1_.pdf

Well thats great Joe, but this is “real stone”
I need info on “real stone”
Thanks for the input anyway. :smiley:

Anyone else?

I suggest you may want to think again…
“Lickem & Stickem” stone is prefabricated…

in this market…
Real stone is 12 - 18 inches thick and stacked as veneer
not adhered to the wall or a post…
actually,
if stone, wood post is not needed…
:slight_smile:

Joe the stone was some type of cut rock, and not prefab. It was heavy enough to need metal tabs to secure it to the substate.

I am only giving my opinion from experience.
Real Stone is not installed that way here…
also cost prohibitive for most homes
… What was the Sale Price of the home?

It is too thin for stone veneer
and a poor installation for a “Dry Stacked” installation…
maybe your market varies…

$ 800,000
Like I said, quite a different animal. Most was still attached, but everywhere you looked it was full of open gaps and holes.

Some stones were 6 inches thick. It does look like fake stone, but it was not.

It matters not the type of stone, it is installed like dry stack and it is going to leak if not already you need to be looking for interior moisture around the windows and even in the middle of the walls. I am envolved in 5 law suits with that same type of dry stack the builders just don’t do the house wrap properly how many layers of paper and or tyvec is behind the stone.

Sean we have the precast here that is 6 inches thick it surely looks like precast to me also just because it has straps makes me think some one had no clue how to install what you have

Real Stone (installed by masons) here would exceed well over 1 Million Dollar properties…

“Real Granite Stone” would also not be installed as you have pictured and described…

You are looking at veneer…
(Dry Stack)
Stucco rules apply…

Sean I hate to agree with a Yankee but I think Joe is correct on this one its installed as he stated just like stucco

Exactly,

Drystack applications,
(also indicative as to why it is not real stone)
while they may be aesthetically pleasing, are not conducive to New England and Mid Atlantic region installations…

Nor in Okla water inflitrates like goose crap through a screen. With the wind driven thunder storms we have here dry stack has very little chance of being water proof

Exactly…
bottom line…

if stones are falling out or off…
its veneer…

and clearly a defective installation of a dry stack veneer…
your first picture shows it…

Moisiture and damage already found my freind. My worry was its physical attachment to the home.

Sounds good to me. Defective it is.

The home was originally listed for 3 mil at one time. Its been on the market for over 2 years.

The same one as pictured, “Henley Model”
Sold for over 2 Million I believe…

Here is the link to the actual Home that our Office Inspected…

http://www.cfholloway.com/henley.htm

It was “Best of Philadelphia” by Philadelphia Magazine “Showcase Home”
the year that it sold…

Our Office Inspected this home in Villanova PA (Justin & I) along with US Inspect
Buyer hired 2 Inspection companies to perform simultaneous Inspections…

It was an interesting Inspection…

the Sylvan Pool
http://www.anthonysylvan.com/gallery-ne.asp

was one of the most outstanding features…

Now that I have had some time to rest and absorb all the details of this inspection here is deal.

This stone work was installed just the same as a brick veneer. The metal tabs were wall anchors sticking out of the stone work itself. They basically just blobed it all up the wall and used brick ties to hold it on.

So at this point I am going to consider it to be in line with brick veneer. Obviously if you looked at a brick wall and it was full of holes we would immediately say no.

I agree Sean. It is a poor installation of stone veneer.